Square body crew

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
1548849149744.png

Might need a bigger bottle, but it'll get you up a hill!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
While the sbc sucks with tall gearing, with 4.11 gears it should get out of it's own way and pull ok. I found an Olds vin Y 307 better with 2.76 gears and 29" tall tires over a couple of stock sbc 350's in my 78 square body. That is totally different but I guess my 94 had a 3.06 first gear and 3.73 gears, the swirl port sbc sucked in it too. Time to buy the 8.1 you were looking at. Then down the road install a 4L80E so it doesn't rev to the moon going any speed.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
*cough* 455 *cough*
That opinion is still not completely off the table however it would require a trans swap and I'm trying to stay on the cheap side
BBC with TBI.
I'm still leaning towards that 8.1 3310 but we shall see.
But your truck is so cool I wouldn't even flip you off of you were clogging the fast lane!
Lol your definitely not at the Jersey shore 😂
How fast are you trying to go? I have pulled a lot heavier loads with rigs similar to yours. I did not have much trouble with any of the pickups. Down shift it manually and give it hell! Now a warmed up 350 will pull a lot better than a Target 350. Have you checked the compression of your engine. She might be tired. The problem I have found is we get spoiled by the power and driveability of the new stuff and forget how to make the older stuff work. My buddy used to pull a 20 foot stock trailer loaded down with fat cattle with a 260 straight six all the time. He would all ways say "any one can pull with power, only a real man can pull with a six cylinder". A manual four speed would be a lot better too.
It's not really a matter of speed morning the capability to remain in motion. On even the slightest incline it feels like I'm trying to accelerate with the brake on. If I give it hell my hillbilly built SBC blows oil from every unsealed orifice filling the cab with the wonderful aroma of oil on headers. For some time now I've been wondering if whom ever put that ridiculous circle track camshaft I removed in it put the oil rings in wrong? It runs good but over 3000 all is wrong! Yes I've been spoiled in the past (07 Duramax 05 8.1 454 4speed roll back) but I've done my time in a 72 c/30 250 in line 6 out of a Nova running on 5 or 4 killing mosquitoes towing cars to the scrap yard. Pritty shore that $200 wrecker did better but it's been a while. I don't minde rolling slow but when the incline is so slight you can't tell it's a Hill other than the fact that the truck is losing speed I'd like to be able to maintain 50 miles an hour without killing it. Also the hole point of an automatic truck was on and off a clutch in summer shore traffic towing the rig tired from working. I wanted to give myself a touch of luxury
View attachment 105140
Might need a bigger bottle, but it'll get you up a hill!
Yeah man! 7 rods and a window! Send it!

Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
While the sbc sucks with tall gearing, with 4.11 gears it should get out of it's own way and pull ok. I found an Olds vin Y 307 better with 2.76 gears and 29" tall tires over a couple of stock sbc 350's in my 78 square body. That is totally different but I guess my 94 had a 3.06 first gear and 3.73 gears, the swirl port sbc sucked in it too. Time to buy the 8.1 you were looking at. Then down the road install a 4L80E so it doesn't rev to the moon going any speed.
It gets down the road without the trailer good and it's all ways loaded down with tools. I agree about the 8.1 it's time to go talk to uncle Bob about it. I think a cathedral Port priority oiling forged internal 4 bolt main 496 fits the bill for what I want to do and the shopping list for that is a much shorter one

• Agree

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
It gets down the road without the trailer good and it's all ways loaded down with tools. I agree about the 8.1 it's time to go talk to uncle Bob about it. I think a cathedral Port priority oiling forged internal 4 bolt main 496 fits the bill for what I want to do and the shopping list for that is a much shorter one
From what you said about the 350, I think you are right. I think you are on borrowed time with it. Better work on a replacement before you have too! Good luck to you.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
From what you said about the 350, I think you are right. I think you are on borrowed time with it. Better work on a replacement before you have too! Good luck to you.
I agree I think the clock is ticking. I'd have been back to PA all ready talked to him and put my olds back together but I don't know if the truck is going to make the 160 mile trip.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
IIRC, there was a BBO in the garage on an engine stand? :unsure: I have a pair of cheap headers you can have and a Performer I'd let go cheap; just need a trans adapter plate. You done yet?

• Winner
  • Haha

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
IIRC, there was a BBO in the garage on an engine stand? :unsure: I have a pair of cheap headers you can have and a Performer I'd let go cheap; just need a trans adapter plate. You done yet?
And that's why olds power is not off the table. If I'm told not to touch the 8.1 I'm going there

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor