Square body crew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
A little more progress tonight got my wire feeder working on the new welder and took apart the unloader valve on the compressor. As I suspected the check valve inside was all crusty. Tomorrow night I'll hook the compressor back up to the welder battery and adjust the pressures. If I figure it out fast enough I'll do some hacking on the truck

Reactions: 4 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I got the battery cables for the compressor hooked back up to the welder battery tonight and tried out the compressor again and tried it out. That led to the unloader valve coming apart 3 more times. After getting it to work intermittently I broke down and ordered a new one lol. Tomorrow night I have to get off my path and get on the lawn mower

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
With the front lawn mowed last night I started on the truck today. I wanted to get the right side box reinforced for the crane. Got off to a good start cleaned it out and cut a hole in the back to get to the bed cross brace and figure out just how I want to do it then the ceramic cone on the plasma cutter letgo on me. I thought I had spare tips but I can't seem to find them anywhere so now I've ordered them online and I'll have to wait till they come in I think I'll spend the afternoon welding on the rig.
1557597014930120103796.jpg
15575970925821975231319.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I didn't make it back to the rig today but I did set the truck up with 100ft argon hose and regulator even put the small argon bottle from my little machine in the cabinet so im ready to go with the feeder. Then I turned my attention to the mirrors again. This time I took apart the lower brackets and cut 6" off them the mirrors are almost tolerable now but I think I want to do a little more modifying on them

Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I didn't make it back to the rig today but I did set the truck up with 100ft argon hose and regulator even put the small argon bottle from my little machine in the cabinet so im ready to go with the feeder. Then I turned my attention to the mirrors again. This time I took apart the lower brackets and cut 6" off them the mirrors are almost tolerable now but I think I want to do a little more modifying on them
Sorry I've been slacking on the pictures guys but my window of opportunity to actually get work done has been small with work and rainy days off. Today it's pouring out and 40° not to mention it's mother's day. I'll try to make a better effort next time I've got sunshine.
Back on topic I know some of you that read this thread work on or around utility body type trucks and I was just wondering if any of the trucks you have access to have what's called a crane body? I'm curious how they're braced from the factory I personally have never seen inside one so I'm just kinda winging it on the brace work. I'm shore whatever I do will work I just don't want to waste space or add to much more weight

Reactions: 1 user

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
My old auto crane box had a 1" thick plate up top and there was 3/4 plate on 3 sides of the box where the crane was mounted. That was with an 8000 lb capacity crane Current truck is a maintainer, the crane is real tall and it has a real short box where the crane sits. 7000 lb crane sits on a 1 5/8" thick plate with 2"x 6" rectangle tube under it which runs under the body across both truck framerails. I'll be back at work tomorrow and be around several different service bodies more like yours. I'll get some pics for you of the bracing.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
My old auto crane box had a 1" thick plate up top and there was 3/4 plate on 3 sides of the box where the crane was mounted. That was with an 8000 lb capacity crane Current truck is a maintainer, the crane is real tall and it has a real short box where the crane sits. 7000 lb crane sits on a 1 5/8" thick plate with 2"x 6" rectangle tube under it which runs under the body across both truck framerails. I'll be back at work tomorrow and be around several different service bodies more like yours. I'll get some pics for you of the bracing.
Thanks I appreciate it. I don't want to do something Overkill that adds weight but at the same time I don't want it to fail eather

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I picked up some parts last night. Got a passenger front door and a factory over head console. It was late and raining so no pictures but I think I did good I'll let you know tonight

Reactions: 3 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
With the insane amount of running around I did this week I didn't get anything done on the truck until today when I got back on it. Didn't get much done but I came up with a game plan for bed reinforcement and started to execute it. I mean stop by here today while I was working on the truck and set up for me to do my first welding side job. I'll be replacing the floor in his Mason dump in 2 weeks. Also drove to the other side of Jersey today I purchased two new used like new 50' welding leads for the machine and the guy who threw in a crate full of miscellaneous welding rods. I'll get you guys some photos and a better update tomorrow I'm too tired to keep my eyes open and type

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor