Squealing When in Neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Full Garage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
I have a 79 Grand Am with a 301 and factory 4 speed (Saginaw). My problem is there is a drivetrain squeal when the car is idling in neutral, or being driven down the road. It sounds like a belt squeal, but here's the weird part; as soon as I press the clutch pedal in a 1/4" the squeal goes away.

Things I've done:
1. The transmission has been rebuilt by a reputable shop in my area.
2. I've tried 3 new clutch assemblies, the last of which has an SKF throw out bearing.
3. The pilot bearing is a rolling element design, moves freely, and has been lubricated.
4. Followed the instructions in the factory service manual for adjusting the clutch linkage and pedal travel.

Any thoughts on my next step?

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
Have you listened for the location of the squeal, or has it only been observed while you’re in the car?

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Try to rule out belt squeal with spay bottle of water with a little bit of laundry or dish detergent. As far as the trans squeal if that is the cause is an odd one.

Full Garage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
superbon54 - it sounds like it's coming from under the car, but tough to locate without a 2nd set of ears.

78delta88 - I've tried that, and no change. I think I'll disconnect the PS belt and see if that is the culprit. Although why touching the clutch pedal would make the PS belt stop squealing I can't quite wrap my head around.

Thanks

Reactions: 1 user

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Those are the typical symptoms of a bad throw-out bearing.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Full Garage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Elcam - that was my first thought but I'm on my third brand new throw out bearing in 400 miles, all different brands, and the last one an SKF. Before I put the last one in I spun it with my cordless drill on high speed (1600 rpm) and no squeal. Thanks.

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
The pressure plate and linkages clear everything? A little csi may be required looking for wear spots in any components.

Full Garage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Superbon54 - the last couple of times that I pulled it apart I didn't see any indication of rubbing or misalignment, but I could've missed something. The linkage is a possibility. There's not a lot of extra space up there because the starter sits on the driver's side if the engine. Something could be rubbing just enough, maybe the return spring? I'll have to double check that as well.

Full Garage

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 10, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Elcam - thanks for the thread. I'll have to go back and check, but I believe that the bore on the bell housing and bearing retainer flange o.d. are a sliding fit. And the back end of the engine block has 2 dowel pins to locate the bell housing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor