SS Monte and Non

Status
Not open for further replies.

JYUMMY

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2014
As you can see I am new to looking into Monte Carlos. I am interested in purchasing a 82-88. After months and months of looking up cars on craigslist and looking on this forum board and many google searches, learning about the car, models, years, etc etc. I still am not quite sure how you can differentiate a SS from a non and what are the body cosmetic differences? I know I read that SS has power windows etc, but as far as T-Tops goes or sunroofs, I don't see that they are strictly on SS models. Any info would be cool.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
untitled.png
images.jpg
r
imagesRS8Q0GT0.jpg
imagesX2OH31K6.jpg
imagesE61W3WAW.jpg

First I will say there was never a sunroof/moonroof option for the 4th generation Monte Carlo regardless of which style it was, the only roof option was T-tops.
Many options for interior and drivetrain were offered for most Monte Carlos with the SS having a few only for them but the exterior was the most notable difference since the Sport Coupe, LS, and SS. all had different front ends.
Sport Coupes - 1981-1986: (lower right)
Sport Coupes were available from 1981-1986 with a nose that is more square and has chrome headlight bezels, chrome wheelwell molding along with a chrome front bumper strip and grill. The bottom half of the nose is also made of urethane.
Sport Coupes have four separate headlights and two turn signal/driving lights on the bottom of the bumper. It also has a stand-up hood ornament.
They come with chrome trim around the windows and taillights and a wider chrome trim along the lower sides of the car and a chrome strip on top of the rear bumper.
"CL"
Sport Coupes were available with CL (Custom Luxury) trim - a trim package that included a deluxe interior with velour pillow top seats.
LS Monte Carlos were also available with this trim option. Both LS and SC Monte Carlos could have the CL option.
LS Monte Carlos - 1986 - 1988: (lower left)
LS (Luxury Sport) Monte Carlos were introduced in 1986 - the only year that you could get 3 different Monte Carlo models - SS, LS, and Sport Coupe. The LS would eventually replace the Sport Coupe as the "base" model Monte Carlo; there were no more Sport Coupes made after the 1986 model year. The LS nose was different than the nose on the SC, It was a "Euro" type of nose, rounded off with two composite headlights The stand-up hood ornament was replaced with a grill mounted emblem.
There are also minor trim differences between the LS and the SC: The 86-88 LS cars have chrome strip that runs down the side of the car on the raised portion of the door it was mounted higher than the SC's which had it on the lower portion of the door.

SS Monte Carlos - 1983 - 1988: (upper right)

The SS nose is the most distinct of the three cars; it is very sleek and aerodynamic. SS cars had blacked out grilles and all black trim as opposed to LS and SC models, which had chrome trim.
SS cars have with a very small knight emblem on the nose and very little exterior trim.
The SS also came with rear deck spoilers 1983-86 had a "stand up" style spoiler,
1987 was a transitional year so rear spoilers could be the "stand up" style or the new "lay down" spoiler.
1988 rear spoilers only came in the "lay down" style

All Montes Carlos- 1987-1988: (upper left)
These years changed the taillights to a smooth flatter style wraparound version and a smooth bumper cover that eliminated the recess in prior years for a cleaner look The 1981-1986 models have a taillight with a metal bezel and the reverse light angles downward.(upper middle)
Also starting in 1986 all Montes had aero side mirrors that replaced the "bullet style" and were located farther forward on the doors.(shown on all 3 Montes pictured)

Last edited:

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
All good info above.
I would add the factory wheels were unique also.Particularly the 86-88 wheels which look similar to, but are slightly differant than camaro wheels. Also, Im fairly certain that all SS's came factory with one of two rear spoilers.

And for the record, not all SS's had power windows.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Not all SS cars had power windows. Not sure where you found that. There really wasnt much standard equipment with the Gbodies, almost everything was just an option. Hell Grand Nationals, Monte SS's, and H/O's could come with open rear differentials of all things! And don't let bench seats drive you away, plenty of Monte Carlo SS's came factory with bench seats and column shift. All 83 Montes had bench seats.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Thanks, just re-edited with the rear spoiler info.
I do feel it is pointless trying to narrow down power options on any given model since they were pretty much available to any model if you want to order them. Even the F41 suspension was not an SS only item my 83 came with it along with being fully loaded and having the CL option.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
I had to read his post twice to realize he was just asking about "cosmetic differences" because when he mentioned the power window thing and it had me thinking about all kinds of other stuff.

Off subject but, were N90s or any 15" wheels an option for a non SS?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
All 83 Montes had bench seats.

I also remember reading that before but my 83' Monte proves that is not true since on the first line on my build sheet is "AM6 60-40 FRT SEA" there is also a "YR1 CUSTOM F/SEAT" and "YS1 CUSTOM R/SEAT" and also "ZO6 LUXURY INT" but those could all be part of the CL package mine came with.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I also remember reading that before but my 83' Monte proves that is not true since on the first line on my build sheet is "AM6 60-40 FRT SEA" there is also a "YR1 CUSTOM F/SEAT" and "YS1 CUSTOM R/SEAT" and also "ZO6 LUXURY INT" but those could all be part of the CL package mine came with.
I meant all 83 Monte Carlo SS's had bench seats.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
83-monte-carlo-ss-sprinkles-buildsheet.jpg

The above is a build sheet from a 1983 Monte SS
So 83MONTESS you would be right as I think there was no bucket seat option for 1983 SS and I guess they consider the 60/40 seat a bench seat even though it is two separate seats when I hear bench I automatically think of a full bench but apparently the AM6 60-40 was an option for the 1983 Monte SS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor