SSII/SSIII Wheel Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

442_olds

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2010
Hello! Needing to find some replacement SSIII's for my 87 442. The ones I have are pretty worn out (rusty and apparently bent). When I went to put tires on recently, they found that the wheels were bent...all four! So I need to find some wheels, so I can get some decent tires on this...they're starting to turn into baloney rinds...
I found a set of SSII's with tires that look really good, just not sure if these will look right on my 87. Dark burgundy/claret interior. Paint is not good, some surface rust and the clearcoat is peeling, so it's not a matter of making it perfect. I just wonder if these will look right:

00t0t_hOQXbgtIwsH_600x450.jpg

I would like to find some better original style wheels, but they are not easy to find. I did find one place that said they had the SSIII, Stockton Wheel. I read mixed reviews on them, some of them really bad. Does anyone know anything about them?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
SSIIIs are getting really hard to find. I do know that you can get them rehooped which is probably where the bend is. The beauty of that is the ability to get whatever diameter you want. With 15" tires getting more rare, 16 or 17" would be a wise move. BUT, then you may run into offset/backspace issues.
The SSII wheel has been around forever, so be careful what you pick up. I had 15" WV SS1s on my G for a minute, and had to run a 1/4" spacer. I'm unsure of their specs (other than 15x7 & 15x8- I think 4" BS); I just ordered them from Summit for my 67.

442_olds

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2010
I do know that these are 15x7, so they should have 4" backspacing. I would hope they would fit. Would hate to buy a set and they not work.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
They should work, I have slicks on a set from a 76 Cutlass. With 26x10.5-15 tires with 8 psi, they rub on the frame. What size tires are you planning on?

442_olds

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2010
Was planning on 235-60-15. Not sure if I will be able to get these...think they are already sold. I'll keep looking. At least this thread may help someone who has a similar question.

442_olds

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2010
Here's another question. I was looking at some discounted rims on Jegs, and they have quite a selection. What I am wondering is, with a 15x7 on that car, how much backspacing should I get? I see anywhere from 3.75 to around 4 1/2. Don't want to buy something that would rub. Would prefer to stay with 4:, but that might be tough.

BTW, what is the factory backspace on the 15x7 SSIII?

Last edited:

442_olds

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2010
Found some wheels that might look good on the car, 15X7 Hurst Dazzlers:
upload_2018-6-13_19-14-33.jpeg

Car is burgundy/claret and silver...paint is not very good...not enough money right now to redo it. Have to have some new wheels, however, and these are affordable, and fall into the gold theme of the original wheels. Going to put the original size on them, 215-65-15.

Also looked at the black dazzlers:

upload_2018-6-13_19-18-42.jpeg

Not sure about these...

Here's my car,

cropped pic.jpg

Does anyone know about how well these hold up? I've heard varying reports, some saying the gold gets old after awhile, and they scuff easily. Looks to me like that could be a problem either way, depending on the [person :)

Car still needs a lot of work, but even in this condition I still get a lot of compliments. Love driving it!

Reactions: 1 user

442_olds

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2010
Thanks, I think it will too,

Here's the tires I'm putting on:

product_image0.png
Hercules HP4000, 215-65-15. I can get these for a real good price. These should look good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor