SSM Game Changer kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

81gutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2022
Wondering if anyone has this kit or is familiar with it. Considering it for my cutlass, I also like that SSM is one of the forum supporters. So, anyone running this? Got a kit you like better? Let me know!

Attachments

• 1E9BB5DC-C81B-4B62-995C-23CB82FA53F2.png
    1E9BB5DC-C81B-4B62-995C-23CB82FA53F2.png
    2 MB · Views: 72
  • 41A70198-6C49-4413-B3B3-B599B3BC97B2.png
    41A70198-6C49-4413-B3B3-B599B3BC97B2.png
    339.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 9E559410-C820-4864-82EF-0BA7086F8365.png
    9E559410-C820-4864-82EF-0BA7086F8365.png
    359.2 KB · Views: 74
  • C0764D86-1D6E-4806-AEF2-2DF77BB39FB3.png
    C0764D86-1D6E-4806-AEF2-2DF77BB39FB3.png
    343.6 KB · Views: 76
  • B1495198-6F87-4BAE-9B3E-AC5D113C6197.png
    B1495198-6F87-4BAE-9B3E-AC5D113C6197.png
    355.2 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I looked hard into this set-up but ultimately passed.

One thing I found very confusing was the initial/lead-in info about the spindle:

SPINDLES

The only drop forged 4140 Chromoly spindle on the market available for your ride.

Tall Pro Touring Forged Performance Spindles for the G-Body. Raises Roll center, lowers center of gravity (0"-3" drop),
I'm curious how you interpret this statement?

81gutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2022
I looked hard into this set-up but ultimately passed.

One thing I found very confusing was the initial/lead-in info about the spindle:

I'm curious how you interpret this statement?
What did you decide to go with instead? But yes i was also wondering why the emphasis on this. Are spindles know to break thus needing a extra strong forged spindle? I could see maybe a drag come coming down hard if the front tires lift up so maybe that’s it. Also unsure where you get 3” of adjustment. I’ll will say this though, this is my first build and I have zero racing experience so my grasp on the subject is limited.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
What did you decide to go with instead? But yes i was also wondering why the emphasis on this. Are spindles know to break thus needing a extra strong forged spindle? I could see maybe a drag come coming down hard if the front tires lift up so maybe that’s it.Also unsure where you get 3” of adjustment. I’ll will say this though, this is my first build and I have zero racing experience so my grasp on the subject is limited.
The forged part is a good thing vs a cast iron spindle..... Forged > cast.

The highlighted portion is a very good question. I interpreted the info statement as the 0-3" of drop/lower center of gravity was via this game changing spindle.

In the end, I decided to use parts for a g-body that use g-body spec replacement parts (BJ's/TRE's/bushings).

Last edited:

81gutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2022
The forged part is a good thing vs a cast iron spindle..... Forged > cast.

The highlighted portion is a very good question. I interpreted the info statement as the 0-3" of drop/lower center of gravity was via this game changing spindle.

In the end, I decided to use parts for a g-body that use g-body spec replacement parts (BJ's/TRE's/bushings).
I think either way I'm going to be upgrading to a non gbody setup, either S10 or SSM so i can run bigger brakes. They also have another kit which includes new rear control arms and such as well for $1000 Im just wondering why they are so cheap? I mean a Umi set of uppers alone is over 1000. Hoping someone who is familiar with SSM will chime in!

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I think either way I'm going to be upgrading to a non gbody setup, either S10 or SSM so i can run bigger brakes. They also have another kit which includes new rear control arms and such as well for $1000 Im just wondering why they are so cheap? I mean a Umi set of uppers alone is over 1000. Hoping someone who is familiar with SSM will chime in!
You can run bigger brakes w/just about any set-up including the g-body spindles, it just takes modding. No different than swapping to different parts like SSM's kit to get it done.

An S10 set-up is still using similar g-body parts it's just using the later Blazer spindle that uses the bolt-on abutment bracket style of caliper retention.

I modded a pair of g-body spindles. I could run LS1 brakes or change out the adapter bracket & step-up to larger a diameter >13" set-up. The hub I'm using is spec built w/larger performance rated wheel bearings that are easily serviced. I can also swap to the S10/Blazer spindle if desired because they both utilize the same supporting parts.

I chose the g-body route because of the unknowns w/aftermarket sealed wheel bearing/hub assemblies. When I researched the S10 wheel bearing/hubs, I did see info suggesting they're definitely not all made the same & even the higher priced units were questionable (bearings going out <2yrs). These failures were on standard passenger car type of rides. It got me thinking 'how long will they survive in a performance application' ? I started looking @ actual performance rated sealed bearings (Corvette range performance) for some comparison. There were similar issues as far as what's available through the aftermarket. So much so that serious Vette guys utilize top-tier hub assemblies which are not cheap.

This issue had me circle back to the standard serviceable wheel bearing type of spindle set-up. I ultimately modded some g-body spindles & if someone starts making a verified performance rated sealed bearing hub assembly for the S10/Blazer spindle it's a straight forward swap (spindle for spindle).

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
figured SSM might want to get in on this.
He might. I talked w/him & he's a nice guy. After more than one phone conversation I was leaning toward making the 'kit' purchase. After certain specifics were discussed @ a later date when I called again (to place the order), I opted to pause & dove down the rabbit hole to research things more. I ultimately went a different direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor