Stainless trim coating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bludacious

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2018
I noticed that the wide bottom stainless trim on my 85 MC has a translucent coating that is starting to peel where the front most piece is dented. I would like to take off the trim and refinish the steel rather than pay a king's ransom to acquire a NOS or used set. My question is what can I use to protect the trim if I have to peel off this coating when I put it back on?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Clear powdercoat perhaps?....or clear lacquer, but it might not last as long.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
that coating is clear anodizing,that trim's aluminum.it's pretty tough..when new anyways.i had mine stripped@a plating shop when i was painting my trim.if you decide to clear it with conventional auto body clear,use a chemical conversion before hand or else it just oxides under the clear.there are some clears designed for bare aluminum but I've never used them.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor