Stall converter slipping???'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

transman

Apprentice
May 17, 2015
Western Canada
Yo I'm going with a new rebuilt transmission and new converter and also magnetic inline transmission filter in the line
Just don't forget that you'll still need to make sure the transmission cooling system is cleaned out thoroughly. The magnetic inline filter is a good idea, but I'd still make sure the system is clean.
For your stall converter, look up the website of any of the GOOD converter builders that have been mentioned on this site. They should have a specification sheet for you to fill out. Be HONEST with the information you give them and they will build you a converter that is best suited for your application. Don't B.S. them, or the converter will be wrong.

transman

Apprentice
May 17, 2015
Western Canada
Can I just blow the transmission cooler out with air and my cam calls for a stock converter so I think the 1600 will be okay THANKS
The air will blow out the dirty oil, but it won't take out the built up crude. The best cleaner is hot transmission oil, very high detergent, but of course this isn't a practical solution for mechanics like you and me. There is a product called "Kooler Flush", made by Lube-Gard. Its an aerosol can that most auto supply stores should carry. Follow the instructions on the can and it works pretty well. There are other methods of course, but a lot will depend on your budget.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

transman

Apprentice
May 17, 2015
Western Canada
I forgot about the converter. If the cam specs say that a stock converter is what it wants, great. I'd get GM'S medium stall, 1600-1800 stall range. Your converter supplier will probably ask you for the sticker code GM put on the converter at the factory. The codes you can give him to get this stall are: DE5F, DE8F, DEAF, DEBF, DF5F, DL5F, DL8F or DFAF. These 8 are the most common ones. They are all 12" (or 298mm) diameter, 1.703 crank pilot, 3 mounting pads with 30 splines for the transmission input shaft, and of course are a lock-up style. This was the most common 700R4 converter the company I worked for sold. Always had no less than 200 or so on the shelf.

I am assuming your transmission is the later 30 spline input shaft type. If it's the earlier 27 spline transmission let me know and I'll pass the converter codes on to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor