Stand up spoiler for a '78

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbonanny

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2013
Jenkins Twp, Pennsylvania
My '78 is nearing its' 2nd complete restoration and is 90% complete. The only add-ons left to do are tubular lower control arms with coil over shocks, new wheels & tires and one piece that eludes me. I'm seeking a stand up trunk mounted spoiler. Why GM never offered that I'll never understand, but I feel it will make a super aggressive car look even meaner!
It already sounds & runs MEAN, with a tad over 600 HP flowing through full race headers into 3" stainless duals, with dump pipes & an X pipe through a pair of Flowmaster 40's. On street tires through the pipes I got an 11.09 @ 119 out of it, and that's with 3.73:1 gears on street tires and barely enough converter....so it wouldn't take but a few hours worth of work to put this car into the lower mid 10s. I already have Global West upper control arms up front so I could convert to much larger front brakes (spindles off of a 77 Caprice) and the rear has been beefed up and has tubular arms holding it in place....just needs the reinforcing bars to attach the upper control arm mounts at the frame to bolt to the frame to prevent me from tearing the *ss out of the car in the event of wheel hop.
My racing days are behind me, but I do enjoy high speed rides (<100 MPH) on slalom type mountain roads and I'm considering some hill climbs, though i know I'll need to go to a 4.56:1 gear for those.
I appreciate any responses on where I might find a bolt on stand up spoiler.....similar to what would be on a 78 Z28.

Thanks, Kirk.

GuysMonteSS

Royal Smart Person
May 21, 2011
Kentville,Nova Scotia,Canada

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Mike"s Montes has stand up spoilers,but I don't know if they would fit your car;
The later Monte SS spoiler in factory form IMO does not look or fit right on the 78-80 body style, it could be modified to fit better but also the OP is looking for a 3 piece version.

1553949824168.png

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
More I read this thread I relized that I never seen a three piece spoiler for the '78-'80 Montes. I've seen them with the '83-'86 SS spoiler. Now this is why haveing a place like Lauren Engineering close suck cause they might of been an outlet to make them if the demand was there.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor