Standalone and turbo question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyShuffle88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2018
anyone here running a single GT45 setup? What kind of power and how much boost? Also anyone running the FiTech standalone ecu? If so how do you like it? Really thinking about using it on my Cutlass build.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Me. Stock 5.3, 4l80e, 8.8 rear on 14# and 10* it made 467whp, 540wtq. Factory ecm.

This was a mustang Dyno so for the fluffer numbers crowd (dynojet) that's 537 ish wheel horsepower.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyShuffle88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2018
Me. Stock 5.3, 4l80e, 8.8 rear on 14# and 10* it made 467whp, 540wtq. Factory ecm.

This was a mustang Dyno so for the fluffer numbers crowd (dynojet) that's 537 ish wheel horsepower.
Nice. That’s in the area I’m looking to be. Feel like you could safely push it a little further? Or is that pushing to limit? What injectors you running? Any e.t. Slips?

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
anyone here running a single GT45 setup? What kind of power and how much boost? Also anyone running the FiTech standalone ecu? If so how do you like it? Really thinking about using it on my Cutlass build.
No personal experience.....but I've heard good things about the VS Racing billet wheel 7875. Supports more HP, spools quicker and is physically smaller than the gt45.

GBodyShuffle88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2018
No personal experience.....but I've heard good things about the VS Racing billet wheel 7875. Supports more HP, spools quicker and is physically smaller than the gt45.
Yeah I’ve been looking at the 7875s as well. My buddy has a 6.0 Regal with 7875 wanna say he made 6.70 to the wheels. He drove it to bowling green which is about two hours from where we live, to LSfest last year ran a 9.71 first pass down. Drove it back home too

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyShuffle88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2018
Only thing swaying me to the GT45 is cost, but I also know you get what you pay for. I’ve been eyeing a different 7875 made my ON3. Not a billet wheel but it’s only like 399

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I have pushed it harder. Added 4 degrees of timing and a .585 jegs cam. Raised shift points from the stock cam tune of 5200 to 6200. I figure it's a conservative 100 horsepower more than when I had it Dyno'd. Deka 80lb injectors, Walbro 400lph in tank pump. I think I'm leaning on this GT45 pretty hard at this level.

This turbo is reliable and makes decent power for the cost. It's is pretty lazy though and it's physically large. Great if you plan on going to another huge turbo like the S480 after you get the bug for more power.

Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Nice. That’s in the area I’m looking to be. Feel like you could safely push it a little further? Or is that pushing to limit? What injectors you running? Any e.t. Slips?
The Dyno figured that it was making 614 at the crank in case that matters to you. I haven't run it at the track, I built a fast cruiser. Stock converter in the trans and 2.73 gears make it a freeway terror.

I forgot to quote you in the post above this one.

GBodyShuffle88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2018
If cost is the deal breaker....maybe run stock ecm instead of fi-tech?
Im still kind of stuck in the middle. Im a good ways out before actually pulling the trigger on buying the turbo so, I can probably manage to get the 7875 if I do decide to go that route over the GT45. Although I have no desire to run their intake setup, Im pretty sold on the FiTech standalone ecu. I definitely want to be to work on tuning it myself, and I feel like hptuners is gonna be a little over my head and be a headache for me while learning, I feel like the FiTech unit will be a little more user friendly, and easier to learn how to tune, not to mention more affordable. I’ve don’t a lot of homework on going fuel injected and turbo, but this is my first go at it so still a lot more to learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor