MALIBU Starter and flywheel problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2018
I have a 79 malibu that i put a 400 sbc in and ive replaced the flywheel and start once. Before i replaced the starter & flywheel it would start just fine then after a month with the new motor it would start grinding chewing up the flywheel.
After replacing the starter and flywheel it started just fine for a car cruise and car show and once again it's doing the same thing again.
I haven't tried to start it once it made the grinding sound cause i don't want to change the flywheel again. I could use the help on this one guys, I've put my heart and soul into this one and it hurts to have it sit and not mobile.
Thanks in advance.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the starter and flywheel are not meshing properly.....what do the teeth on the flywheel look like

Reactions: 1 user

vandyman

Apprentice
Jul 16, 2017
The 153 or 168 flex plates have to be matched with the correct starter.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
The 153 or 168 flex plates have to be matched with the correct starter.

You need to know what starter and flexplate the car has. The car factory had a 153 flexplate and starter, but the 400 stock is a 168 flexplate. When I had mine in the early 90's I had a 153 flexplate made with the counterweight for a 400.

vandyman

Apprentice
Jul 16, 2017
You need to know what starter and flexplate the car has. The car factory had a 153 flexplate and starter, but the 400 stock is a 168 flexplate. When I had mine in the early 90's I had a 153 flexplate made with the counterweight for a 400.
Exactly, but you have said it better.

Now if you have an after market hi torque starter, in most cases it will be interchangeable for either flex plate.
I use a MSD starter that works for both flex plates or flywheel.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
A starter positioned for the 158 tooth and a 168 flywheel is used the starter will not engage the teeth, it'll hit the flywheel, visa versa the starter will be sitting too far away to engage. I bet my money on he is not using starter bolts with a GM starter and the bolts are allowing to starter to move.

Last edited:

vandyman

Apprentice
Jul 16, 2017
A starter positioned for the 158 tooth and a 168 flywheel is used the starter will not engage the teeth, it'll hit the flywheel, visa versa the starter will be sitting too far away to engage. I bet my money on he is not using starter bolts with a GM starter and the bolts are allowing to starter to move.
Gotcha..
I was over thinking. [emoji848]

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I bet my money on he is not using starter bolts with a GM starter and the bolts are allowing to starter to move.
ARP also sells starter bolts with the knurl to locate the starter correctly.

1541547422794.png

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
If you have confirmed that you have the correct flexplate and starter , and your still having problems you can check the distance of the flexplate and starter shaft, [ the shaft that your starter gear is on ] you should have 1/8 of a inch . If you do not you will need starter shims , usually between 20 and 60 thousands . You can use a drill bit to check, very easy. Without seeing flywheel very hard to tell, but sounds like the starter is engaging to far . The starter is not meant to fully engage the flexplate only 75 to 85 percent. And like the guy,s above have mentioned [ hardware store bolts dont work here ! ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor