Starter Swap - 87 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay12

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2009
So Cal
I think my starter is going out, and I found some for really cheap at Autozone. So rather than pay $200 to have a body shop do it I figured I would get off of my *ss and do it myself for only the cost of the starter (~$89). Only thing is that I've never done it before.

Can someone tell me where exactly is the starter on an 87 Cutlass and how hard, or easy, is it to change it out.

Step by step instructions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
The starter is located under the car, basically at the back of the engine, between the motor and transmission. If you have the Olds 307 or Buick V6, I believe the starter is located on the driver's side of the car.
To replace:
1: Disconnect cables at the battery
2: Jack up the car so that you have room to work under it
2a: Use jackstands, ramps or some other "safe" method to keep the car in the air and prevent it from crushing you
3: Remove starter bolts (should be 2), remove battery cable from the starter, unplug or unbolt any other leads. Basicaly you just want to free it up and get it out. You may have to remove the cabling first (probably best to do it this way if you can get your hands up there) or unbolt the starter first, use your best judgement. If there is a plastic or metal cover that you can remove (flywheel inspection cover) go ahead and remove that first because it will give you more room to work with.
4: Install the new starter, read the directions that come with it. There is usually a note about shimming, read that.

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
Good for you for doing it your self!! We all start somewhere working of our cars and it`s as good a start as any.
67rstbkt`s instructions are spot on but I would like to add one small detail. When you disconnect the batterie cables, always remove the negatif first and plug it in last. That way you wont get a surprise shock should your wrench ground itself.

Good luck and tell us how it goes.
Dean

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
deanlemans81 said:
Good for you for doing it your self!! We all start somewhere working of our cars and it`s as good a start as any.
67rstbkt`s instructions are spot on but I would like to add one small detail. When you disconnect the batterie cables, always remove the negatif first and plug it in last. That way you wont get a surprise shock should your wrench ground itself.

Good luck and tell us how it goes.
Dean

Good tip, thanks for adding that in :mrgreen:

Jay12

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2009
So Cal
Thanks guys. I'm going to give it a go next weekend. I'll update everyone on my performance haha

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
It sparks a lot when you forget to disconnect the battery cable :)

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
If you have the original GM starter, I'd look into having it rebuilt rather than buying an off the shelf parts store remaned starter.

Take your starter off and have it tested. It may only be a bad solenoid and if so, is easily replaced for a lot less money than a new starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor