Starter wires

80elky

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
I was looking at the starter and noticed that there was three wires when I’m used to two. There’s the main battery cable then there’s a thin black one and a thin tan one. Which one is which?

pagrunt

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I was looking at the starter and noticed that there was three wires when I’m used to two. There’s the main battery cable then there’s a thin black one and a thin tan one. Which one is which?
There should be the two fusible links on a shared ring terminal with one link with one 12 AWG red wire with the other link with either two 12 AG red wires (305) or just a single 12 AWG red wire (229, 231, 267) & then just a 12 AWG purple wire. There shouldn't be a thin black or tan wires on the starter.

M

mikester

Royal Smart Person
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Mine had two red 12AWG wire with links going into a single ring terminal. One of them went to the OEM splice coming off the alternator and the other going to the bulkhead connector on the firewall. Then theres a single purple 12AWG that also goes to the bulkhead. That goes to the smaller post on the starter. The double wires go to the post with the battery cable.
Ive seen the fusible link wires fade to odd shades of red but never tan. Maybe the purple faded to a color that looks a little tan or brown ? Can you go deeper into the harness to see the actual colors ?

Attachments

80elky

80elky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 23, 2019
Didn't take a picture before you took it apart? It's 2020, ya know...

Just put them back the way you found them. and, UNHOOK THE DAMN BATTERY! Otherwise, you'll be another d-bag with blown fusible links.
I never actually took it apart, I was just wondering what the tan wire was going to, but when I followed it, it wasn’t even hooked up to anything.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Chuck Cole Need help with my Starter Wires and HEI Plug wire Chevrolet El Camino / GMC Caballero 2
C Starter jumper Electrical / Ignition / Starting 4
Sanchez86Cutlass Starter replacement issues Electrical / Ignition / Starting 4
Emhendo Car Won't Start. Battery or Starter? General Discussion 11
MalibuDavyou5 Malibu Starter Help. Electrical / Ignition / Starting 16
Doug213xrj Bought a new starter. General Discussion 5
JAMCAR223 Conversation Starter... General Discussion 9
78_Monte970 Starter post nut (small) Electrical / Ignition / Starting 5
Y No Power To Starter Wire Electrical / Ignition / Starting 28
CopperNick Holey Starter Electrical / Ignition / Starting 8
JAMCAR223 Conversation starter... I dig this wagon! General Discussion 21
M Cutlass starter update and an alternator question of my own Electrical / Ignition / Starting 12
Tony1968 Battery to starter cable routing? Electrical / Ignition / Starting 17
69hurstolds Schumacher 1000A Jump Starter- nice little unit OFF TOPIC 8
pagrunt Quick disconnect starter harness Electrical / Ignition / Starting 4
WBOWERS EL CAMINO crying uncle. starter noise. Electrical / Ignition / Starting 15
J MONTE CARLO 406 SBC starter problems Chevrolet Monte Carlo / SS / Malibu 26
8 Starter Wiring Metal Tube Removal Electrical / Ignition / Starting 27
I MONTE CARLO Ignition & Starter Issues Electrical / Ignition / Starting 2
JAMCAR223 Conversation starter... this aught to be good. General Discussion 22
J MONTE CARLO Wires cut On Torque Converter Lockup. Need help on wiring harness General Discussion 0
M Mystery wires Cooling / Heating / AC 7
M rally gauge wires for grand prix Electrical / Ignition / Starting 0
shawn1112 What are these wires? Electrical / Ignition / Starting 6
S Wires Interior 7
Tony1968 Passenger side firewall. Are these wires needed? Electrical / Ignition / Starting 29
leefybeaver LSx Headers and Plug Wires G-Body LS Swap 12
500/600 HELP What are these wires? Electrical / Ignition / Starting 3

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck ConsolesDixie Restoration DepotMike's MontesP-S-TSouthside Machine PerformanceUMI Performance

contact[email protected]for info on becoming a sponsor