Starter wiring issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

'66chevyfanatic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2007
SE Wisconsin
Hi all,

I've got my GP ready to fire up. I had it running this afternoon, but it won't stay running. Anyway I need some help with my starter wiring.

I have 2 red wires with the fusible links connected to terminal S and my battery lead connected to the larger post.

I also have a 10 gauge purple wire that my wiring diagram shows need to be connected to the other small terminal on the solenoid. Is this correct? When I connect the purple wire to either starter terminal, it won't turn the starter. In fact I have no power in the entire car. If I connect it straight to the battery, I can crank the engine, but still no power to the rest of the car. Fusible links are good, I checked them with a continuity tester. Trying to figure out what I have wrong, and how it's supposed to be.

Thanks,
Tom

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the two red wires with the fusible links should be connected to the terminal with the battery cable. The purple wire goes to the S terminal

'66chevyfanatic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2007
SE Wisconsin
Really? They were hooked to terminal S on the old starter that was in the car, and that one started okay. It's been apart for so long that I can't recall where the purple wire came from, but I am sure I pulled those off that terminal. They also have a very small ring on the end, won't fit on the battery terminal.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
StarterSystem.jpg

'66chevyfanatic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 17, 2007
SE Wisconsin
Okay awesome. Thank you so much for the info. I'll straighten it out tomorrow. My diagram looks nothing like that. It shows the reds to term. S, and the purple to the other small term. It actually makes perfect sense to me now.

Funny thing, I'm an electrician. Automotive wiring just confuses the heck out of me.

I appreciate your time to help me out.

Thanks,
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor