starting a car that has been sitting long time??update

Status
Not open for further replies.

496kid

Greasemonkey
May 7, 2011
taylor,pa
i just pick up a 87'monte ss that has been sitting for a long time.i know to drain the bad gas,but what should i replace or do before driving it?

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
Re: starting a car that has been sitting long time??

496kid said:
i just pick up a 87'monte ss that has been sitting for a long time.i know to drain the bad gas,but what should i replace or do before driving it?
replace fluids.check brakes and brake lines ,check hoses ....etc

496kid

Greasemonkey
May 7, 2011
taylor,pa

should i just replace the belts and hoses.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il

how long is a long time? id check the oil, if its black id drain and fill with new and replace the filter, remove the dizzy and turn the oil pump by hand with a drill or with a hand drill and check for leaks. check allllll the vacume hoses and the fuel lines. and invest in starter fluid. most likely the carb is gonna be clogged with old bad gas, so that will prolly need a good looking over. i dont know everything so someone else will chime in and add things i forgot.

496kid

Greasemonkey
May 7, 2011
taylor,pa

maybe two years

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011

496kid said:
maybe two years
Maybe check the battery? and test alternator I don't know how long my car sat but it was not loved at all and besides belts it had a bad battery which caused a couple problems. Then again I was driving it with the 25 year old factory rubber on it for the longest time too.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin

change the oil and filter no matter what, get the bad gas out of it (check belts hoses fuel lines and vacuum lines were mentioned) look for mouse nests that could start a fire, just give it a good look over. wouldnt hurt to change all the fluids. just take it easy on it when you get it running too. if your worried about bad gas in the carb you could pull the fuel filter out (change that) and soak the thing in carb cleaner for a while till it evaporates, im not a fan of starting fluid.

496kid

Greasemonkey
May 7, 2011
taylor,pa

thanks for the info.i well do like ya'll said.

496kid

Greasemonkey
May 7, 2011
taylor,pa
here is a pic of it.i'am going back to buy a 86'ss parts car.

Attachments

• new toy.jpg
    new toy.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 739
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor