Starting a stored Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 18, 2013
Hello gbody, im hoping to get my car running again. Its been parked for almost two years now without ever having been moved. Im not a mechanic but will try to work on my vehicles as much as I could with the help of manuals and the internet. So you guys being the experts im hoping you can help me out a lil with some info regarding step to consider when starting a regal after having been parked for nearly two years. I know that when it was running it would not shift gears normally after having been warmed up. I would first drive it and trans shifted as it should , untill maybe after 30min of driving , when it would lagg in the second gear. So im just going to swap the trans. Im thinking th350. With all that transmission stuff aside I know that I need,
1. Battery
2. Fluids topped
3. Gas
4. Prime my oil pump (is this necessary? If so can you explain how to do it)

thanks for you help.

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
the gas is going to be garbage, but thats already on your list... not sure if you mentioned where it was parked, garage, or outside, if outside, i'd pull the air cleaner and make sure no rodents have made a home... but, for the most part, just think of it like a tune up, drain fluids and replace with new, same with fuel, oil, air filters... wouldnt hurt to replace plugs, wires... distributor cap coil rotor... then cross your fingers n turn the key...

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
2 years isn't that long and unless its a HP performance motor I would personally check the oil and antifreeze level then toss some cables on the battery, fresh gas down the carb and see if it fires. If it does start just let it idle for 15-20 mins until its all up to temp and check for leaks.

If you had 2nd gear problems ( common 200r4 problem ) then a rebuild is in your future or known good trans swap.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
with the additives in the fuel will deposits as the fuel evaporates which can affect a carb I would remove the carb and let it sit in a bucket of diesel fuel. That will desolve the deposits and will not harm any part of the carb

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
All of the above and don't be surprised of the exhaust is full of acorns or some other mouse winter supply. Mine was but it has been close to ten years sitting. My belts were shot also. They had stuck to the pulleys.

Rob85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 18, 2013
Thanks guys, your feedback insures that im on the right track. I know im going to need a tans swap, id hate to lose my engine too.
I was hoping to get some insight on how to prime my oil pump, if at all necessary. I did a lil research and if I understood ,im going to remove the distributor and place a special tool into oil pump.

axisg said:
If you had 2nd gear problems ( common 200r4 problem ) then a rebuild is in your future or known good trans swap.

I think I read this on wiki and as for a swap, im thinking th350. My regal wasn't a hp build, mainly my daily driver. Im hoping to get a lil more power from it though cause it lacked in torque.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
pontiacgp said:
with the additives in the fuel will deposits as the fuel evaporates which can affect a carb I would remove the carb and let it sit in a bucket of diesel fuel. That will desolve the deposits and will not harm any part of the carb

Cool idea. What do you once you've pulled it out of the fuel, before you run it on the engine?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
online170 said:
pontiacgp said:

Cool idea. What do you once you've pulled it out of the fuel, before you run it on the engine?

wipe it off and make sure the bowl isn't full of diesel fuel. Diesel fuel won't run a gas engine but it won't cause any damage.

454cutlass

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2009
mass
Wouldn't hurt to prime the oil system. If you buy the tool it just drops in like the distributor making sure the end is lined up with the oil pump. Most use a 1/2" drill to turn it. I use a old distributor with the cam worm gear removed. works just like the tool. Just remember you will have to re time it afterwards. Pic of my primer

Rob85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 18, 2013
454cutlass said:
Wouldn't hurt to prime the oil system. If you buy the tool it just drops in like the distributor making sure the end is lined up with the oil pump. Most use a 1/2" drill to turn it. I use a old distributor with the cam worm gear removed. works just like the tool. Just remember you will have to re time it afterwards. Pic of my primer

Great idea, is the timing a pain in the a××. I recently tried to replace the timing belt to my wifes camry, ended up having it done at a local shop. I had the hanes manual and still didnt have it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor