Starting After Long Term Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

87_TX_T-type

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2016
Hi - I'm new to the forum, so I'm looking forward to learning all that I can.

I inherited my father's prized blue/green 1987 Buick Regal T-Type not too long ago. Before the car went into storage it was in perfect mechanical condition, and the body/interior are still pristine. (You could literally eat out of the engine bay without touching a spec of grease/dirt/oil/whatever.) He was an extremely meticulous man that kept every receipt, and even the old parts that were replaced.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the space or the time to bring it to my home until now so it has been sitting sealed up in a secured garage for several years.

Aside from flushing ALL the fluids (including gas), replacing the battery (and possibly tires) , are there any other precautions I should take before starting it for the first time? The last thing I was to do is blow the turbo since it's been sitting so long, or something else unforeseen.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would pull the spark plugs and pour some ATF transmission fluid down the cylinders and leave it soak a few days and just put the plugs back in finger tight. The ATF will free up any stuck rings and lubricate them. Remove the plugs and turn the engine over after a few days to remove any pooling of the ATF. Install the plugs but before you start the engine pull the pink wire from the distributor and turn the engine over until you see oil pressure buid. When you do start the engine the exhaust will be white with the ATF burning off.

and we need to see some pictures....:)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Clarmo

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
I know it's a given but... don't even try starting it without changing the oil filter. Some filters will come apart after sitting a long time.
I won't even start my cars after sitting over the winter without changing the filter.
And if you can prime the oil system somehow that would be ideal!

Sorry about your Dad. It's nice you have something of his that he cherished, you can look after it as he did and you'll be able to remember him every time you take it out for a drive.

Jamie

Last edited:

mtocrs1

n00b
Dec 29, 2016
IMO opinion the safest thing is to remove camshaft position sensor and use an oil priming tool to prime the oil system (chevy tool works fine) auto zone has them for rent. This will require you to reset the camshaft position sensor. Easy if you know how, If not remove the cam sensor cap and mark the reluctor window location to sensor body. Then mark the body to front cover. This way you can reinstall in the same position.
Option B is unplug the ECM power. There is a single orange wire that comes off the battery B+ cable. You will see the wire with a connector behind the battery.. Unplug the connector and crank for 30 seconds. This will prime the oil system. Plug back in and the car should start up.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I would pull the spark plugs and pour some ATF transmission fluid down the cylinders and leave it soak a few days and just put the plugs back in finger tight. The ATF will free up any stuck rings and lubricate them. Remove the plugs and turn the engine over after a few days to remove any pooling of the ATF. Install the plugs but before you start the engine pull the pink wire from the distributor and turn the engine over until you see oil pressure buid. When you do start the engine the exhaust will be white with the ATF burning off.

and we need to see some pictures....:)
No dizzy man.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
If it's in good of shape as you make it out to be, then I wouldn't be afraid to start it as it is, after changing the oil filter and oil in the engine and some fresh gas. transmission fluid will be fine to leave in there, again if he took as good care of it as you say. A little surface rust, if any, won't hurt well worn in rings a bit. Let it crank over for a while though with that orange wire from the ecm disconnected to get oil to the turbo. Also consider taking the turbo off and blowing it out with compressed air to get all, if any, little critters out of there. Those impellers are very delicate.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Welcome to the forum. Mighty fine of you to continue your Dad's passion for these cars. Your car is special, and highly sought after, so do the right thing and keep it in good running condition, as he did. Not everyone has the knowledge, and patience to work on your car. RESEARCH and then keep researching. Read all you can to educate yourself, or you WILL make some expensive mistakes.

To answer your questions, go here.
http://www.gnttype.org/resources.html

For excellent advice, inspiration, and knowledge, go here.
http://turbobuick.com/

I'm in Houston. Contact me if you need any advice. Please post some pics of the car, when you can. James-

Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor