Starting and dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim87elko

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 16, 2020
Starts up good but will die unless I feather the gas a few times to keep it going. After warm up runs good. This is a new rebuilt carb I bought from National Carburetor Co. I sent it back to them for this problem and they supposedly fixed it but still same problem. Things I have done to solve problem. New fuel filter in carb, New fuel pump. Good fuel flow from fuel tank gas line to fuel pump. Tank is vented properly. Does anyone know why this is happening? Any help is appreciated.

Jim87elko

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 16, 2020
The carb isn't tuned to your engine. It's generic rebuild that needs to be adjusted. Good luck trying to get one to run right out of the box.
I readjusted the idle screws with a vacuum gage as recommended. The IAB screw was adjusted from the rebuilder. I counted the number of turns it was set at and wrote it down. I then proceeded to also tune the IAB screwed with the vacuum gage. It currently is only 1/2 turn out from stock setting. Car runs decent when warm and secondaries kick in ok when Trans downshifts. Just that starting issue that is bugging me. Seems like it runs out of gas when it starts. I do believe the float well plugs were epoxied from the rebuilder. So I don’t think my bowl is running out of gas because of leakage into the manifold over night.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
choke operating properly?

-Gonz

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
You have a mis-adjusted or non functioning choke pull-off(vacuum break). Your choke gets the engine started, the choke pull-off then opens the choke a bit to keep the engine running. How much is " a bit"? Depends on the carb number.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor