CUTLASS Starting on My Cutty

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesEarlCash

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 9, 2022
Houston, TX
Ok so I’m finally getting my 1984 Cutlass Supreme Brougham sedan ready for the road again. It has a 350 sbc & th350 transmission from a 1979 Chevy c10 big10, a true dual exhaust with flowmaster mufflers and that’s about it as far has performance mods go for now. Inside i added a grant mahogany steering wheel with Oldsmobile symbol horn button and there’s an aftermarket CD player and replacement 4x10s in the rear deck. I do plan on upgrading the head unit with a bluetooth one and swapping in 6x9s in the back.
Today my eBay front steering components were delivered, I’ll be buying the shocks next and then a full gasket set for the engine, I already have a new rear main seal. I’ll also be replacing the water pump just to be safe. I need to find out exactly where my transmission was leaking from and get that taken care of. If it needs to be rebuilt I’ll be attempting that myself, my brother in law rebuilt one of these not long ago and offered some help on that so we’ll see if it needs it right now.
Another thing I’ll be doing soon it making lexan windows for the rear doors. It’s not for any weight savings, it’s basically because the driver’s side rear vent window broke and it’s getting harder to find them, this is the would be the second time i have to replace them. Well when i took out the back window and the broken vent windows assembly i liked the way it looked with one big window. And since i can’t find a new used manual vent window anywhere i thought i might just make these windows and see how it comes out. So I’ll be posting pics of that when i get to it.
There’s some rust spots I’ve noticed so I need to get to work on that soon also. I’m not looking for a show car by any means, more on the sleeper patina side. Well that’s the basic rundown of the short term goals for the Cutty. Hopefully i can get to most of this in the next few weeks. I do have other projects I’m working on but the Cutlass is the closest to being road ready so it’s getting most of my attention now.

Pics coming soon

Reactions: 6 users

JamesEarlCash

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 9, 2022
Houston, TX
Ok so here’s the deal. I had to hold off a little on the project because I got hit by a drunk driver a week ago. I’m ok and my daily is driveable, just physically damaged. On top of her being drunk, she has no insurance, no drivers license and expired registration. And did i mention she was driving a Mercedes? Perfect right? So I’m having to come out of pocket for my repairs on my truck, which sucks big time. So the cutty is going to have to wait a little longer. I’m not quitting on it though, i will be driving this car before summer this year. Wish me luck my G Body kinfolk✌️

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Ok so here’s the deal. I had to hold off a little on the project because I got hit by a drunk driver a week ago. I’m ok and my daily is driveable, just physically damaged. On top of her being drunk, she has no insurance, no drivers license and expired registration. And did i mention she was driving a Mercedes? Perfect right? So I’m having to come out of pocket for my repairs on my truck, which sucks big time. So the cutty is going to have to wait a little longer. I’m not quitting on it though, i will be driving this car before summer this year. Wish me luck my G Body kinfolk✌️
I would sue her, did you write down the name on the Registration and license plate?

Reactions: 1 users

JamesEarlCash

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 9, 2022
Houston, TX
I would sue her, did you write down the name on the Registration and license plate?
I talked to a lawyer and he basically said that even if i won which i would, there’s nothing forcing her to pay me and then I’d add a lawyer bill on top of everything else. I don’t have money or time to deal with all that

Reactions: 2 users

Oldcarjunkie

Greasemonkey
Feb 4, 2022
Fate,Texas
My daughter was hit by a guy with no insurance years ago. She was going to college a distance from home. I got a hold of a lawyer in that college town and he took the guy to small claims, the court garnished his wages until the repair cost was paid.
Not sure it would work in every case but worked for mine.

Reactions: 4 users

JamesEarlCash

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 9, 2022
Houston, TX
Well your story sounds pretty crazy to me. You start a thread to build a car, and then mention that you can't build it because of something that happened a week before you started the thread.

You tell me.

As mentioned previously, I'll delete my posts if it turns out differently
Well your story sounds pretty crazy to me. You start a thread to build a car, and then mention that you can't build it because of something that happened a week before you started the thread.

You tell me.

As mentioned previously, I'll delete my posts if it turns out differently.
Might as well delete your post. I’m not trolling and i don’t even see what the purpose of that would be. Life’s a b*tch it just hit me like one, it sucks but it happens. I have the front steering parts for the cutty from eBay sitting in my house and I’m getting the shocks soon. I’ll probably have them installed by the end of next week(hopefully), i was just updating my thread on why it’s taking longer to get it started than i wanted. I had to buy a junkyard fender for my daily (2011 Silverado 2500HD) and i need a bumper but those are ridiculously pricey so that can wait. I also invested in a front and rear camera to help if something like this happens again. I’m just a working man on a tight budget, i don’t have money to fix everything at once or buy top tier parts and i didn’t expect to get hit by some drunk girl. You want me to send you the incident report number to satisfy your suspicions??? I’m just doing one thing at a time, sorry if you think that makes me a troll.

Reactions: 2 users

JamesEarlCash

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 9, 2022
Houston, TX
Full disclosure, I’m nowhere near being a mechanic. Other than oil changes, brakes and the occasional water pump i haven’t really done any mechanic work. This is definitely a learning experience. I do have a friend who know much more about this than i do and he’s giving me advice and pointers as i move on with this. I have the tie rods out and center link in next.

Attachments

• DF52462A-42A9-4BB5-B301-5FA18DE5DEDA.jpeg
    DF52462A-42A9-4BB5-B301-5FA18DE5DEDA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
  • E14363CF-7402-4D7E-9536-CF8F800A0796.jpeg
    E14363CF-7402-4D7E-9536-CF8F800A0796.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor