CUTLASS Starting problem after driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
Can anybody help me I have a 87 Oldsmobile with a 71 Oldsmobile Cutlass motor rebuilt mild cam Edelbrock intake the problem I'm having the car will fire right up but as soon as it reach temperature and I shut it down it has a hard time starting or sometimes I have to wait a little bit could it be timing or fuel problem I can't check the timing because I don't know how to do it I had everything set by the mechanic but he is too busy to look at it till next week

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
If the mechanic set it up an timing is where it should be odds are its the starter.

Verify timing is set proper, takes 5 minutes an any good mechanic should look at it right away if they are the ones that set it in the first place!!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What carburetor are you using?

and you are on this forum so anything you are not sure on all you need to do is ask. If no one asked question then the forum will close up. Checking timing is not difficult but it will require you to get a timing light which isn't too expensive. The tools you buy will cost money but doing the work yourself will save you paying someone to do it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Oldsmobile engines like a bunch of initial timing- like 12-18 degrees. If your mechanic set it like a Chevy (8-12) that could be a problem. However, I can't say I've ever seen incorrect timing create a hot start problem.....

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
When you shut your engine down (or even running) check if you have any fuel dribbling from you venturies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
When the starter is going it heats up and expands not letting it work. When it cools it goes back near normal letting the engine to start.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor