CUTLASS Starting problem after driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
Ditto battery. I just went through that. Started cold but when it got hot it acted like a starter but was the battery. It needs a load test- any decent mechanic can do it in 5 minutes or just buy one. This is one of those tools you really need to have around. It tests both the battery and the alternator.
s-l225.jpg
Thanks I will have to check it the Motors just been fully rebuilt new battery new high torque starter new alternator new carburetor it runs beautiful . when you shut it off after driving it for 20 minutes and you let it sit it's hard to start it back up

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
new battery new high torque starter new alternator new carburetor it runs beautiful
Hmmmm. Sounds like everything is up to snuff. There is one last thing. The "purple" wire going down to the starter. Check the connection at the solenoid, the whole length of the wire, and at the firewall connector. Long ago I had to reach up under my Firebird to jam a screwdriver in and short the starter terminal to the battery wire when it got hot. Drove me crazy. Years later I had to remove the fender and I found the wire at the firewall almost chopped clean, maybe 3 strands left. Started great cold- not at all when hot.

Reactions: 1 user

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
So it cranks up no problem when cold soon as you drive it for a little bit and shut it off and wait a little bit and try to start it all it will not crank
so after I drive it a little bit and shut it down and let it sit and try to start it the motor will crank just not start

350goldghost1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 21, 2016
Hmmmm. Sounds like everything is up to snuff. There is one last thing. The "purple" wire going down to the starter. Check the connection at the solenoid, the whole length of the wire, and at the firewall connector. Long ago I had to reach up under my Firebird to jam a screwdriver in and short the starter terminal to the battery wire when it got hot. Drove me crazy. Years later I had to remove the fender and I found the wire at the firewall almost chopped clean, maybe 3 strands left. Started great cold- not at all when hot.
I'm going to get under there tomorrow and take a look at it make sure that starter is nice and covered with the heat shield wrap and look at the wires somebody told me it could be timing is off but I don't know how to do timing

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Sounds like it's not the battery or starter if it cranks/spins over when hot. Getting spark during the hot cranking? Only need spark, fuel, and air and you got fire. Air probably is a given. Fuel system ok? Carburetor I assume? Is it getting fuel during this hot crank? HEI distributor I imagine?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but gotta start somewhere.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Going to a fuel issue, do you have a heat shield under the carb or even the right gasket to keep the carb & fuel from heating up to cause vapor lock?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Heat soak will affect the module in the HEI distributor. That is why they include some special grease to apply to the underside of the module. If it was not applied- maybe no spark. Is there an EFE valve in the exhaust manifold? If stuck shut, all exhaust is forced under the carburetor which gets real hot. Heat soak can boil the fuel bowl dry. Lastly- after how long sitting will it start and run?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
So it cranks up no problem when cold soon as you drive it for a little bit and shut it off and wait a little bit and try to start it all it will not crank

so after I drive it a little bit and shut it down and let it sit and try to start it the motor will crank just not start

Boy I'm a little confused - I thought it wasn't a cranking problem thinking fuel - then it was a cranking problem - then it's not a cranking problem?? I'm with
Bonnewagon, had both the module and carb problem back in the day - check the venturies

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If it cranks slow after the engine is hot that could mean the timing is too far advanced.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor