Starting problem after installing a new thermostat & gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.

edb_app

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 6, 2012
I replaced my thermostat today on my 84 3.8 along with a new gasket. Connected everything back up and it started right up but noticed a bunch of fluid was pouring out around the housing so I immediately shut it off. After I got most of the coolant cleaned up I then drained the radiator again, moved the fuel line and tightened the thermostat housing bolts, refilled the radiator. I tried starting again to see if it was still leaking around the housing but it wouldn't turn over. I checked every connection but cant figure out what could be causing it to not start. Does anyone have any suggestions? It has been running perfect and I thought this was going to be an easy job but it is slowly turning into a nightmare. Been trying to figure out the problem for the last couple of hours. Could the leak have caused damage to the starter? Could there be a short somewhere? Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
Re: Starting problem after installing a new thermostat & gas

the engine aint turning at all ? or is it turning over and the not starting ? how did u move the fuel line ?

Erich

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 14, 2012
Las Cruces

I just did the same thing to my 3.8l last weekend. I removed the fuel line to the carburetor to get at the thermostat housing, and when I had put it all back together, I went to crank it and it wouldn't start. So I had someone crank it while I watched under the hood, and I noticed that fuel was coming out of the connection from where the fuel line screws into the base of the carb.

Apparently it wasn't getting enough fuel to run, as most was leaking out of the fitting.
After I got the threads properly aligned and tightened, it started right up. I would check this first, and if that isn't your problem, I would check to make sure you didn't pull any of the wires from the distributor which could be preventing it from starting.

EDIT: Also, you said that you moved the fuel line, there might be a possibility that you crimped the fuel line, and this is preventing fuel flow.

edb_app

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 6, 2012

Ended up being an easy fix, it was flooded so I just held the gas pedal down all the way while starting a couple times and it cleared up. Thanks for the advice! Now it looks as if I have to redo the thermostat housing again, there are small drips of coolant right below the housing. I tightened the bolts as hard as I could so I'm thinking it may just need new housing... any other ideas?

avin85cutty

Apprentice
Feb 9, 2012

i just changed mine last sunday.. did u use a new gasket and use the gasket sealant. not sure what its called it was a red silicone type tubing and thank god it all worked good

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor