starting the body off frame need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
so far 3 bolts are just spinning , so since i cant see inside as it's spinning what are my options here.. what do i do? i need to get the body off this frame since some have broke. i feel like i'm kinda screwed

Chopper

Apprentice
Feb 9, 2013
Midland, MI.
Pretty much two choices. 1, cut the head of the bolt off with a torch or saw and pull body off. 2, Open up floor board with hole saw or similar cutting tool and get an open end wrench on the cage nut assembly and remove bolt with a friends help. Before you go any further, I would drill a small hole from above to where the nut should be and spray the piss out of it with PB Blaster for a few days. Then pray before you go on (not that is matters much). Most likely they will keep breaking loose if you don't because Michigan is not kind to us car owners and the bolt/nut is rusted together. Reality is on any that are broke now you will have to open it up to spot weld the cage nuts in place. Put some anti-seize on them too after repair is made. It's a suck job. :( Read this... viewtopic.php?p=295384#.UVZhi1GZ9vw

Coveted

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2008
Sanborn, Ny 14132
cutting 3 sides of the floor where the bolt is would be better than a hole saw, more work, but then you have a tab you can bend back down and weld back in. trying to weld the cut out from the hole saw might be a pain

Chopper

Apprentice
Feb 9, 2013
Midland, MI.
Coveted said:
cutting 3 sides of the floor where the bolt is would be better than a hole saw, more work, but then you have a tab you can bend back down and weld back in. trying to weld the cut out from the hole saw might be a pain

You are right. Leaving a flap piece of metal is a better choice for sure.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Chopper said:
Coveted said:

I used a hole saw and then put body plugs in place so if for any reason had to pull body off again would be easy.

Chopper

Apprentice
Feb 9, 2013
Midland, MI.
CWPottenger said:
Chopper said:
Coveted said:

I used a hole saw and then put body plugs in place so if for any reason had to pull body off again would be easy.

Actually I thought about using a body plug too but most people probably like it welded. How big a hole did you have to cut? The plugs for the door wiring are about 2 3/4" and that looks like plenty of room (probably more than needed). I have one broken cage already so I know when I go to pull it off frame, I will most likely have more.

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
ok so pretty much i have to cut the floor where the bolts are and get them out that way.. can someone post a pic of what it looks like once you open up the floor just to have an idea what i'm going to be dealing with... thankyou

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Chopper said:
Actually I thought about using a body plug too but most people probably like it welded. How big a hole did you have to cut? The plugs for the door wiring are about 2 3/4" and that looks like plenty of room (probably more than needed). I have one broken cage already so I know when I go to pull it off frame, I will most likely have more.

I fabricated 9 new cages and used the stock nuts that I has soaked in oil and was able to get out the 9 broken bolts and then welded the cages onto a the part I fabricated and welded the parts in...I have at least 1/2 dozen t shirts with splatter holes in them to prove it...I will never do another frame off without a rotisserie.. :|

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
man i'm sooo mind boggled over these damn bolts i never welded before and i need to get a Haborfreight welder and i hope it works out because this is more work then what i planned, but i just keep telling my self it's going to save the cars life

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
When your ready to lift your body off I found that my cherry picker w/ I bolts in the seat belt holes worked well.

Attachments

• blue 1.jpg
    blue 1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 868
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor