starting to race prep the regal

Status
Not open for further replies.

hibbsf350

n00b
Oct 2, 2007
what can anybody recommend for the easiest rear end swap for drag racing, i will eventually install a ford 9" but that will be after some major money saving. i am looking for any info on say an s-10 or astro van axle that would be inexpensive, what fits etc.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
well the s10 and astro van had the same 7.5 rear that we have in our cars, you can get a gov-lock locker/posi (eaton style) out of the astro van for cheap and easy or you can go get an auburn posi which will run you some money. i would suggest getting a cheaper posi to run in the 7.5 untill you ca get the money for a 8.5 or a 12 bolt or perhaps a 9. expect to spend alot to get a 9'' or gm 12 bolt setup and going. an 8.5 is rarer for the gbody but can be found. i believe they were in the 442 and also the GN. of course there is an 8.5 w/3.73:1 and eaton gov-lock in the s10 zr2 package but its a leaf rear end and would require cutting and custom fabbing. i personally got a eaton gov-lock for the 7.5 to hold me over and get both wheels putting power down untill i get some more money for a 12bolt or 8.5. you can pick up a used 7.5 posi for like $75 or $100 w/ gears. rmember though there are 2 and 3 series cariers i believe the 2 series is 2.71 and down while the 3 series is 2.71 and up or something like that. the difference it the 3 series is thicker were the ring gear mounts. also 3 series gears can be used on a 2 series carrier as long as you use a ring gear space. hope this helps and can be understood easily(didnt want to ramble on too much)

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Only a 78-88 A/G body axle is a direct fit. Within that range are the 7.5 and 7.625 axles and the much better 8.5 10 bolt from the later turbo Regals and Cutlass 442. The 8.5 can be prepped to take significant abuse as it has a ring gear diameter that is only .375 smaller than a 12 bolt Chevy. If the car runs 12's or faster or runs slicks, none of the smaller rears will last. There is also the 8.8 from the Mustang, but it is not a bolt in either. There is a write up in the drivetrain section by someone who just finished it, look there for information on how it's done.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
slightly beefing the 7.5 is only a temporary means until more money is attained. it will help for a while but eventually will die. all depends on the abuse the axle and carrier is put through. some people have strong 7.5''s and they are lucky it all depends on setup. all in all the 7.5'' is week but it will get you by untill you have the money to do what you really want. that is why i suggest getting a used locker and gears untill you have some real dough to chunk out. i dont know your budget so im just trying to throw out any possible solutions

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i really wouldn't use the GM gov-lock rear. it is not a very strong set up. i know a mechanic who had one blow up on the lift!! a number of g-bodies had posi rears. i know the monte ss came with a posi(i love mine :D ), you either got a cone or a clutch style.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
i only have the gov lock because its the only thing i could get my hands on at the time, i want to change axles anyway so it will work for the time being.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I have both in my inventory and consider the Gov-Lok scary. I am probably going to use the cone posi I pulled from a 78 Cutlass with a ring gear spacer instead of my 3 series Gov-Lok. The Gov-Lok has chipped spider and side gears so I don't think it is going to live too long if I use it. This is not the only one like this I have seen either. Gov-Lok's, because of how they work, create a lot of shock and tend to have issues. They are an open diff until one wheel looses a lot of traction, then it is allowed one revolution before the governor locks both wheels together, giving essentially a locked differential.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
you can lock them with a preload on the drive train by using the stall converter, ie launching at the track. but no matter what its still a 7.5

whatsup

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 14, 2007
Iowa
Gov-locks should be sent to Iraq...they are nothing but grenades waiting to go off. Deffinately not meant for the dragstrip. get yourself a 8.5" rear...it will hold up just fine. You will pay out the nose for a 8.5 posi ($600-$800). You can find a non posi 8.5 pretty reasonble ($200-$400) and then drop in a posi unit or locker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor