Steel vs aluminum bumper cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
We all know Regals came with either steel or aluminum bumper cores and that the alum ones save alot of weight. However, are the aluminum bumper cores weaker than the steel ones?

Just to be clear I am talking about the bumper cores, not the mounts.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Both would have had to meet FMVSS for the time...that said, a lot would depend on alloy/thickness/hardness of each. In my day to day as a collision tech, the aluminum bars seem to be more likely to break versus bending/deforming on domestic cars.

williamattop

Master Mechanic
Apr 9, 2014
Appleton WI
Isnt there and old saying/generalization about steel vs aluminum?
Something like twice the strength, 3 times as heavy?

What is the weight difference between the two cores?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Steel bumper reinforcements are 64.5 lbs front / 69.5 rear. Aluminum bumper core reinforcements are 45.8 lbs front and rear. Then there is also the front bumper export brace that was used sometimes instead of a front bumper core which weighs 33.5 lbs. My Regal has a steel rear bumper core and a export brace in the front bumper.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
Is it just the 81-87 Regal that had them or did the 78-80 also have them?

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
Clone TIE Pilot said:
We all know Regals came with either steel or aluminum bumper cores and that the alum ones save alot of weight. However, are the aluminum bumper cores weaker than the steel ones?

The steel braces were, no doubt, stronger than the aluminum but both were able to meet the 5-mph federal impact standard. The lighter, export brace setup was rated for 2.5-mph impacts iirc. I run the export setup up front and aluminum out back in the GN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor