Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Is anyone here using an Auto Metal Direct steel cowl on their el camino or malibu? I'm looking for a pic to see if it is the same as the underside of the Goodmark hoods. The flat hood I modified with a cowl on it is starting to crack down the middle and the cowl always seperates no matter how good the body work is. This is the third flat hood I've done this to and figured its about time to just spend the money and get the right hood.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Re: AMD Steel Cowl Hood

Mine is tack welded because the last time we tried full welding the hood warped from the steel being thin. It could be from the hood not being attached to the reinforcements anymore.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Re: AMD Steel Cowl Hood

Napa sells 2 part urethane tubes and that's used to bond body panels on so it should be good enough for your hood scoop

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Alright I changed up the title of the post. I'm looking at comparing the fiberglass and steel bolt on cowl hood. The price for either one is about the same.

TC1959, I talked to both AMD and Goodmark, and they are both non-functional cowl hoods according to them. They basically said there is a metal screen on the back of the scoop and just the circle cut out for the air cleaner.

Is anyone running a bolt-on fiberglass hood? My big concern with a fiberglass hood is I've heard stories of them cracking and being both flimsy and weak. Don't know how true this is but looking for input. Also put a poll as well to see what most people think.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
patmckinneyracing said:
Alright I changed up the title of the post. I'm looking at comparing the fiberglass and steel bolt on cowl hood. The price for either one is about the same.

TC1959, I talked to both AMD and Goodmark, and they are both non-functional cowl hoods according to them. They basically said there is a metal screen on the back of the scoop and just the circle cut out for the air cleaner.

Is anyone running a bolt-on fiberglass hood? My big concern with a fiberglass hood is I've heard stories of them cracking and being both flimsy and weak. Don't know how true this is but looking for input. Also put a poll as well to see what most people think.
It works if you have this aircleaner. :wink: Same set up as the 70 Camaro.

Attachments

• 4-26-2010%20012.jpg
    4-26-2010%20012.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 851

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I asked them that very thing. Told them that I knew a guy running a goodmark hood with the correct circle air cleaner, and the goodmark rep said that "even if he has the right one, its a non-functional hood".

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it may come as a non functional hood but it's easily changed into a functional hood with the right aircleaner set up like in tc1959's picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor