Steering Box Fitting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I need the two lines made for the steering box in the wagon. I had a shop make the two for the coupe and they did a perfect job. Only thing is the coupe was flare, this one is O ring. Both boxes were done by Lares. Both close ratio for a sport suspension.
My question is are the fittings using O rings metric or standard ? 16 and 18MM ? Ive got nothing to check them with and Lares is closed until Monday AM. Externally the boxes are the same. Just the flare/O ring fittings make the difference.
Im assuming the new pump on the crate motor is also metric. Anyone know for sure ?

Attachments

• IMG_0661 (004).jpg
    IMG_0661 (004).jpg
    713.8 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
There are adapters out there to fit flair lines to O ring boxes. Just make sure they are for 45 deg flairs & not for 37 deg A/N flairs. Summit, Jegs, Fleabay, Amazon should have them. I'd add the O ring size but I can't remember it.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
There are adapters out there to fit flair lines to O ring boxes. Just make sure they are for 45 deg flairs & not for 37 deg A/N flairs. Summit, Jegs, Fleabay, Amazon should have them. I'd add the O ring size but I can't remember it.

Why would I need an adapter ? If the new GM pump has an O ring wouldnt I just need a line made with O ring fittings on both ends ? My question is are the fittings for O rings metric or standard ? Or did them come both ways ? If thats the case I'll need to make multiple 40 minute trips to the shop thats making them to buy different size fittings to check them first.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Why would I need an adapter ? If the new GM pump has an O ring wouldnt I just need a line made with O ring fittings on both ends ? My question is are the fittings for O rings metric or standard ? Or did them come both ways ? If thats the case I'll need to make multiple 40 minute trips to the shop thats making them to buy different size fittings to check them first.
Sorry, misread the message. The GM O ring fittings are metric.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I just put a new Bergeson steering box on my Regal and put on a new pressure hose and a 90 for the return line, they are 18 mm and 16 mm

Reactions: 1 user

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Return line is for a Camaro, not certain on it. I used a short straight fitting and bent it to my liking with a section of hose back to my original pump inlet, but can't figure out the application right now.🥃

Can you post a picture of how they look ? I was going to have a set made by the shop that did these for my 81. I dont know if they'll have the O ring style fittings though. The other issue is the return line on the pump. On the 81 its in a better location/angle. On the crate motor it kinda points upward. I was hoping it was removable so I could replace it but its not.

IMG_0319.JPG

IMG_0320.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor