Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
mash the two together
All you are doing is taking it apart and rebuilding with the correct parts. If it is original it can probably stand a new "rag" anyway. I had the same problem. My '83 Bonnewagon came with the "O" ring hose steering box but my '79 Pontiac 301 used the old flare hoses. EDIT: So I tried swapping the later Buick 231 power steering pump onto the '79 301 and it was a no-go. Much easier to swap an old Firebird steering box on and change the Pitman arm to a "G" body unit. Then I just rebuilt the rag joint to work with the Firebird box and the Bonnevile shaft.
s-l225.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Deadeyejedi80

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2018
Saratoga springs ny
if all else fails you can use the Astro shaft with a knuckle that fits. You can cut the lower knuckle off the Astro shaft which is a 1" DD, count the splines and diameter of the input shaft on the box and order a knuckle that fits.

BRG-013468_MQ_ml.jpg
Where would one find the Astro shaft and the correct knuckle to change it to?

Deadeyejedi80

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2018
Saratoga springs ny
The lares rep tells me their 974 box has the proper output shaft diameter which is 3/4 . And the proper flare fittings . And apologized for recommending the wrong one . 😡

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor