Steering Box / Rack Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

bs009

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2008
Smashville
So my stock box was developing a lot of slop in it over the last few years and this year I finally decided to replace it with a new box with the faster ratio.

Well I've tried out 3 different boxes, 2 remanufactured and 1 from a Jeep in the junkyard that seemed fine there, but on the car all of them have had a pretty bad dead spot.
I know it's not in the steering shaft or the rest of the steering system, I can turn the input shaft on the box and watch as nothing happens to the pitman arm at all until you get it out of the dead spot.
I have also tried to adjust the 2 bolt/nuts on each one. The first two that adjustment was pretty much maxed out. On the third one all of the adjustments I did just made the box harder to turn and didn't get rid of any of the slop.

I'm now looking at the Borgeson 800 box that seems like a pretty good upgrade and it's also not a remanufactured part

Are there other good options that are better than the stock design though? The steering box seems like a pretty dated heavy design. It'd be really cool to get a rack and pinion in here, it'd use less space, save weight, and I've never had an issue with slop in a rack and pinion.

I've read somewhere that a Borgeson 600 box would fit and that sounds like an even better upgrade than the 800, but I haven't been able to find a part number that I can tell would fit for sure. From what I read the 600 is built a lot like a rack and pinion.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have the Borgeson box and their telescoping steering shaft on my 86' Regal and it works perfectly, after installing a used Monte SS steering box that ended up leaking I decided I am not playing games with used and rebuilt boxes that all seem hit or miss.

IMG_20200720_132819802 (1).jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Same as 565bbchevy I just installed a Borgeson box on my car. I was having the same issues as you, dead spot in the center, and had read all of the issues with reman boxes and the same thing happening. Much better now.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor