Not open for further replies.

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
Okay
I have a customer with an 85 monte ss
he had two questions for me

1. What is needed to be adjusted to get the column and floor shifter to work together so it locks out in the park position and you dont have to spuin it around by hand to get the key out

2. is the cable available for the floor shifter to shift indicator

thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
where the rod that goes from the column to the tanny there are bushings on the transmission bracket that the rod goes though...if they are worn that causes the problem with the rod not putting the column in park.....you'll probably notice an problem with the back up lights as well...

nottonice

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2007
NORTHWEST OHIO
man I think I have the same problem. When I got my car there was nothing attached to the steering cloumn or the transmission. I must be missing some parts Tell me what I need. I might just have to go to a junk yard and take a look at a floor shift Gbody and steel what I need off it.

gmachinz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2005
Des Moines, IA
You have either worn out bushings in your linkage as mentioned or the linkage rods themselves are bent. There is no cable from the floor shifter to th eindicator. There is only a thin, sometimes doubled-up string-like cable that attaches just under the column which moves the gear indicator by sliding across as you pull the shifter down. The lower steering collar moves which moves the indicator-this happens whether you have a floor shift or a column shift by way of the linkage at the firewall. The plastic gear indicator breaks over time because the cable wears a slotted hole in the plastic housing and it begins to drag-this eventually shreds the cable to the point it just catches and snaps. Or, it'll break the eyelet on the indicator needle itself.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
what im planning to do with my elky is get a manual choke cable kit and connect it to my shifter and to the colum shift gear indacater(sp?) so when i shift i can see what gear im in. i dont have a center console yet but when i get one it should cover up the cable. it shouldnt be too hard to hookup if ya know what yer doin. ill take some pics when i do it so someone can have a reference.

barncar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 26, 2007
Miamisburg, OH
On somewhat the same topic, my girlfriend's Cutlass is getting a 700-R4 with no mounting point for the column linkage. It's an original floorshift setup, so that part is OK, but I'm concerned about the column not working properly or at all. Can the collar be safely locked out until I figure out a way to make it work? Or am I stuck finding a trans with the bosses in the case?

Forgot to say... For the Chevy guys, the Olds has the indicator in the console, so I'm not too concerned about wondering which gear I'm in, although a 4-speed indicator conversion would be nice, if anyone knows of something that might work.

gmachinz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2005
Des Moines, IA
It'll be affected if the ignition switch and neutral safety switch is mounted on the steering column. I think all columns have the hole just outside the firewall for the linkage rod that extends down to the transmission-you need to score that piece from a donor car at the boneyard along with the frame bracket with the spring and bushing too. This way, when the gear shift selector goes down, the steering column collar moves accordingly via this linkage rod outside of the firewall. If it's all out of wack, you could end up with ignition problems and lock out issues as well.

LS1MonteSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2007
Smiths Station, Al
if this is only about the indicator and knowing what location your in...

the shifter has a second rod on it above the cable linkage. I was planing to cut a window in my shifter cover, reverse paint (painted from the underside) the P-R-N-D-2-1 on a piece of clear plastic (can be had form the local hoby shop) then mount it to the underside of the shifter cover plate. the second little rod can be painted orange so it can be seen eaiser.

if i'm missing the mark let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor