Steering Column Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have a tilt steering column with the shifter on it and eventually want to convert to a floor shifter but those steering columns are pretty much non existent around here and if you do find them their pricing makes you think they were made of gold.
So I am wondering if anyone has used this column cover or something like it to cover the hole left by the shifter.
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Column-Shift-Covers,2049.html
91032600_L_3a8c1df0-1f15-4a74-9a91-26ebfabeae75.jpg

Reactions: Texas82GP
i checked your link, not much info. i like the idea. it will require complete disassembly of steering column. no way that can be slip fitted up from the bottom of the column.

• Agree
i checked your link, not much info. i like the idea. it will require complete disassembly of steering column. no way that can be slip fitted up from the bottom of the column.
It's plastic I wonder if you can put a cut in it lengthwise and spread far enough to get it over the skinny part farther down the column.

• Optimistic
It's plastic I wonder if you can put a cut in it lengthwise and spread far enough to get it over the skinny part farther down the column.
i like your thinking. i assume no matter which way it goes on, the column shifter handle pivot area will need to be ground down or cut off.

A few years back I converted a column shift to a floor shift by grinding & filling the spot for the shifter. Everything functioned as before. It was a tilt column.

• Agree
Reactions: Injectedcutty
I did as pagrunt as well. I chopped the shifter handle nub off, filled with a metal plate and epoxied it in from the outside while holding the filler plate tight from the inside. After some sanding, and a teeny weeny bit of filler, sanding, primer and paint it looks like a factory floor shift column.

EDIT: This is the best pic I could find until I get to the Cutlass next week....
20150426_183016.jpg

Last edited:
I am facing the same thing since I converted to a 4 speed. There are floor shift automatic columns that will work. I think I am going to see if the part is still available from GM. I have to pull column anyways so may swap then. It is a pretty big chore to do so if you have not done one. You need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate depressor. I also thought about grinding off the lug and filling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor