Steering Column Install Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbodyera

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Miami,FL/ DET,MI
Ok. I picked up a new column for one of my cars. I started to install it about an hour ago and couldnt finish. The column shaft is turned the other way so it wont line up. Is there a way I can turn it to line it up. If i wanted it to fit in there and line it up my shift lever would end up on top and blinker switch on bottom. HELP !!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Did you unlock the steering wheel? Unlock it and turn it so it lines up.The top of the shaft can be 180 degrees off and still fit.

gbodyera

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Miami,FL/ DET,MI
I didnt remove it from where the ps gearbox is. I removed it from the bolt on the shaft closest to the firewall. How would I unlock it without hooking it up.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I mean the ignition key. It locks the steering wheel. Unlock it and the align the shafts. You should be able to install the colunn correctly but then the steering wheel may end up off center. That can be corrected later.

gbodyera

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Miami,FL/ DET,MI
Thanks. Ill try it in the morning. Im in the midwest at my parents house for the holiday. My feet are frozen and so is my left hand. I only have 1 glove and its 7 degrees here. NO GARAGE :cry: :cry:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Wow! I feel for you. It's about -10 here in NY and I've been hiding inside all day. Yeah, just turn the ignition key and unlock the steering wheel. Then you can line up the shaft and mount the column. Sounds like it will throw off the steering wheel alignment but you can deal with that later.

gbodyera

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Miami,FL/ DET,MI
Ok. I unlocked the steering wheel and lined it up to go into the shaft but its not going. Its really no way to push it in. Whats a good way to push it in? I tried using the handy hammer and beating the old wheel. no budge.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
It is a tight fit. Sometimes I need to smack that flexible collar, that's right there where the bolt goes in, with a hammer to get it on. In extreme cases I have had to remove the lower shaft,the part that bolts to the steering box, and try to get it on the column shaft with it outside the car. Just be sure when you remove the lower shaft, to mark how it was oriented to the steering box. There should be a dot on the input shaft of the box that lines up with a line on the clamp, but not allways,so mark it somehow. Trying to do it in the car can be very frustrating, no room to work, so doing it off the car is way easier. Once you get the upper and lower shafts to go together you then feed the whole mess in through the passenger compartment, through the firewall. Get someone to help you guide it through as it will hang up on the engine and control arms. I have also filed/grinded the male end of the shaft to bevel it a bit, just to get it started, then hammer it the rest of the way. Just be carefull you don't collapse the shaft. It is a shaft within a shaft designed to collapse on impact so the steering wheel shaft doesn't impale you in an accident. If you accidentally collapse it, all is not lost. It pulls back apart and there is a curved shim inside that creates friction to make it hard to collapse. If you accidentally pull it all the way apart that shim will fall out and need to go back in, it sits on a flat on the shaft. Good luck trying to do this in the cold, I shiver just thinking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor