Steering column knuckle torn

Status
Not open for further replies.

1983MonteLS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 1, 2022
Alright giving the carb section the night off :D
83 Monte Carlo steering wheel has some play, noticed this part /rubber seal is shot. First off what part is this so I can buy , second what’s the procedure to replace this / special tools? Thanks
2843955C-45DD-4B05-9D9C-8A7017E3E377.jpeg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
To my knowledge, the boot is not sold as a replacement part.

I did mine with the boot from a Chrysler screw-in ball joint. It is not an easy task, the bent-over tabs are really tough to bend and rebend. Will also have to remove the u-joint to seperate the shaft from the upper, and then reassemble it.

Most are going to suggest an Astro van or Jeep shaft as a replacement. I'm just stubborn and wanted to keep it original-looking.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Advise doing a search on here about the replacement boots. Mike’s Montez and others sell replacements aftermarket but people have been able to replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor