Steering column linkage 200-4r?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Hey guys, I've been trying to find some info on the difference between the factory th200/th350 steering column linkage and the 200-4R steering column linkage and was wondering if they are different?

I have adjusted my factory one but can't get it down to 1st gear and if I do I can't get it back to reverse or park.

I know the easy way is to get a floor shifter installed which I have a Monte ss one, but I like the column shift. My car is a bit low key and I kind of like it that way.

I'm pretty sure someone here has the answer as you guys always come through.

Thanks,

Joe

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Do you have the straight shifting linkage or the offset.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
The bar that connects from the column to the trans is slightly different witch I found out going from a 200 to a 200-4r in my car also the rooster comb in the steering column is different because you have another forward gear the other thing if you have headers you may find your linkage bar works better on the opposite side of the cross bar under the car for header clearance

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
my inventory sheet says I have one of each I'm working on my house if I have time later I'll pull them out and snap a picture of them side by side otherwise I'll be I'm my shop later this week

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
Do you have the straight shifting linkage or the offset.

The one I have is offset.

The bar that connects from the column to the trans is slightly different witch I found out going from a 200 to a 200-4r in my car also the rooster comb in the steering column is different because you have another forward gear the other thing if you have headers you may find your linkage bar works better on the opposite side of the cross bar under the car for header clearance

That's good to know about the bar.
What part is the rooster comb? Is it inside the column? like a bump stop kind of thing?

I tried to put the linkage on the other side but the bend of the header interferes a bit but I was frustrated that day. maybe I'll give it another shot.

my inventory sheet says I have one of each I'm working on my house if I have time later I'll pull them out and snap a picture of them side by side otherwise I'll be I'm my shop later this week

Thank you. I would appreciate the pic.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
The one I have is offset.

That's good to know about the bar.
What part is the rooster comb? Is it inside the column? like a bump stop kind of thing?

I tried to put the linkage on the other side but the bend of the header interferes a bit but I was frustrated that day. maybe I'll give it another shot.

Thank you. I would appreciate the pic.
The rooster comb is in the column it's held in with 2 screws I might have a 3 speed column apart also that I can snap a pic of that part do you have a floor or column shifter?

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
Ok so that rooster comb is really important because it provides a detent for the shifter I'll go out there a minute

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
IMG_0625.JPG
Well what I need is in that box lol and I bet it's at the bottom so we're screwed on pics but I pretty confident that's what's up with your car. What I did was found a later car with the four speed and got a column rod I actually got two and I had a few columns around and bought one from a member for my floor shift and just built what I needed I'm going to guess that the b body column shift rooster comb may be the same so that would give you more options to look for at a junk yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor