Steering Column Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZRegal

Greasemonkey
Aug 20, 2017
Mesa AZ
To add to this thread i have a couple more questions along this same lines about the 84 dark maple

My 84 regal has the dark maple interior. I have a set of original reclining 84 hurst olds buckets and rear seat also in the same maple color. The plastics on the seats match my door panel plastics exactly. What sheen is recommended for the plastics inside the car?

Which type/sheen of paint should i use to respray my dash? The dash is still pliable and not cracked anywhere. Problem is it is faded, or i guess baked, on the top edges due to the sun. I want this to be a one and done job. I want to do it right and not have some cheap product flake off at a later date. So any suggestions or experience from those of you in the know? Thanks. Hopefully this will be helpful for OP as well.

full

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The dash should be resprayed in a low-goss. If the color does not have a low-gloss formula or it's a custom hue for the dash there is clear in low-gloss. Besides the dash, the A pillars should be low-gloss but it wouldn't matter on our cars. With the interior colors matching between the GM divisions, GM was cheap on giving each their own hue palette so you can get color matching parts from any G but you still have to know year range per color. For example, the claret used the beginning of our generations run is a different shade that of the end.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Also keep in mind that these vinyl colors were often mixed at a facility that made the parts and knowing GM, the workers got paid for shiit so colors COULD vary from batch to batch. GM has a "tolerance" for shade matching, whatever that means. Seems to be a double-secret formula or just a "eh, it's close enough" type of thing. I think they chose the latter.

And when trying to match shades of new colors, try and find a part of the vinyl or cloth that HAS NOT SEEN SUN to match with. Lots of times people don't consider that and then complain when the proper shade is sprayed that it doesn't match what they thought was the right shade. You may also have to blend when painting parts next to each other. For example, you paint the b-pillar trim but leave the T-top inner panel trim alone. Next to each other, they don't quite match. Just something to consider.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor