Steering column probem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I was able to remove and install the locking plate when I disassembled the column on my '82 about 20 years ago. Wasn't strong enough when I did my '84 last year, had to get the tool.

Get yourself the Lisle 19940 pivot pin remover before you start the project to save time later.
That’s exactly where I’m at now, waiting for Oriellys to get the pivot pin puller in tomorrow. They’re only 1.5 miles from my house but they have to get it from they’re warehouse.

Reactions: 2 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
If the upper shaft is loose, sounds like you left out the spring that preloads the bearing, under the cancel cam/lock plate.

If the whole upper jacket is loose/floppy, the tilt head screws have loosened.
Being inexperienced at this, in taking it apart AGAIN. I realized I did just that, forgot the spring. But the housing is loose also.

Reactions: 1 users

toner283

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2008
Durham, Ontario, Canada
The four screws that hold the Tilt head to the column body- when you get to them, red Loctite them when you reinstall them. That way this problem doesn't ever happen again. I have put Loctite on those four bolts for every of the one of the 40-plus columns that I've done over the last several years. Never an issue after the fact.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The problem with this job is that after you do it once, then you're ready to do another one in about a 1/2 hour. But this is a once per car life repair. If this is the only older column you have, then you'll probably never need to pull it apart again lol.

You'll be the wiser for it though. Hutch's video is very, very good.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
You can definitely do this Doug. I did it the first time when I was about 17, in around 91 or 92 and I did it blind (no manual, no videos). I just got a little word of mouth from a guy at the auto parts store.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If you really get in a jam I have a nice floor shift column with tilt and intermittent wipers (82+) that I won't use but I don't want to see you have to backtrack like that.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor