steering column question

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
seemed like the question would better asked here instead of chassis/suspension, but if the moderators deem it to be sent there, I'm good with that.

it's been almost 20 years since I've had a tilt column apart for this problem, and for the life of me I can't remember... I've got the normal wiggle in the tilt area of my column, and it's enough to affect my ignition switch operation, and I'm wanting to know if anyone has a exploded view of the column I can reference, and if it's a bushing or a bearing that supports the shaft?

Thanks in advance
Darin

• Agree
Reactions: Injectedcutty
You have to partially disassemble the column, and you generally can only get to three of the bolts with a torx bit (T35?) and several extensions. The good news is that a 1/4" wrench is all you need to lock them back down - yes on the red threadlocker. Be very careful pulling the plastic disc off under the steering wheel - they're really brittle after all these years, and irreplaceable. The ignition locking ring can be pressed down and the circlip dug out of its groove with a pick. All you need is a third hand...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Injectedcutty
thanks for the quick replies guys! just goes to show that the memory banks aren't what they used to be.... watched a couple of them and started to remember why I wanted to forget them! 😛 I've got the dash out right now to fix some electrical, and am going to tackle the wiggle while I'm doing all this..... wife can't understand why I'm taking the time to fix everything just to turn around and sell it off.... snowball effect is starting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor