Steering column question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Good afternoon all. I was wondering if anyone here has had this same issue or change over. I moved my shifter from the column to the floor using a B&M Quick Silver. Can I replace the part of the column that still has the place for the column shifter or must I change the whole column out? Thanks for any help here. It will be much appreciated...

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Reactions: 2 users

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Yes that piece could be changed out....a little bit of work. This link may help...it shows what's involved to tear down the column.

http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/steering.html

Another link that may be helpful

https://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27192

Members have also posted up about having just cut the "nub" off, filled and painted to match...
Thanks for that fast reply... I had already thought about cutting that small nub off and cleaning it up for painting. Thanks for the links you supplied. I will start reading them in a bit. By the way.. Very nice car you have there my friend .. Thanks again...

Reactions: 1 user

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Thanks for that fast reply... I had already thought about cutting that small nub off and cleaning it up for painting. Thanks for the links you supplied. I will start reading them in a bit. By the way.. Very nice car you have there my friend .. Thanks again...

Happy to help! The links are for repairing the notorious Gbody loose/wobbly tilt mechanism, but of course much the same applies anyway.

Thanks for the comment on the Malibu....sadly it's one I let get away...

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
Happy to help! The links are for repairing the notorious Gbody loose/wobbly tilt mechanism, but of course much the same applies anyway.

Thanks for the comment on the Malibu....sadly it's one I let get away...
I know that feeling I let several of my cars get away that I wished I still had ... Thanks again..

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
I have the same situation. I changed to floor shifter, but taking apart the steering column to replace that one piece would give me nightmares. Instead I took a cap from a WD40 can and afixed it to the offending stumpf and put an emblem on it. So much easier.
yup.gif

Attachments

• Picture 064.jpg
    Picture 064.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 271
  • Creative
Reactions: 3 users

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
I have the same situation. I changed to floor shifter, but taking apart the steering column to replace that one piece would give me nightmares. Instead I took a cap from a WD40 can and afixed it to the offending stumpf and put an emblem on it. So much easier.
yup.gif
Hello .. That's why I like forums like this .. So much valuable info as you just gave here.. Did you affix it with a glue or did it just slip on with a little pressure and held ?? Thanks again for your great idea ..

BOXCARS

Master Mechanic
Apr 29, 2017
I can't remember exactly. I might have just wrapped some masking tape around the stump to make a tight fit and pushed the cap on to it. Like I said, changing that piece on the column would be a pain.
2mn2ejn.gif

Reactions: 1 users

WV CHEVY MANN

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2018
West Virginia
That makes since.. Yes as I read the link another member supplied in regards to getting into that part of the column it does look pretty crazy. Thanks again ....

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Years back before I joined this forum I ground off the nub, filled in the opening with a plug made out of two part epoxy putty, smoothed out the spot with Bondo, primed, painted. Ended up selling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor