Steering Column Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Over the years I have repaired some columns , mainly ignition locks and signal switches, but never really dug into one. Well, my brother has a couple 3rd Gen Camaros with loose tilt columns. After researching the topic and buying a pin puller, it turned out to go smoothly. Although it took me a couple hours, I was able to really understand the parts and functions of the column.
After learning about tilt columns, that brought to mind my Bonnevilles column does not lock the steering wheel in place. I thought , no problem, I know what to do. Wrong! As it turns out, I have a non tilt column shifter. I looked at various diagrams and they are totally different. The rack actuator and steering wheel lock pin are totally different between the two columns.
So I happen to have a non tilt manual transmission steering column out of a 79 Malibu and decided to tear it down. I was able to tear the column all apart and put it back together. When taking the column apart, unless I missed something , the column housing must be separated from the shaft. Then coming in from the bottom side , remove the screws to separate the two parts to gain access to the actuator. Seems like a lot to get at it.
Unfortunately, all the tube videos are on tilt columns , none on a standard column. Anyone have experience with the standard columns?
Looking for tips or advice....

timo22

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor