HELP Steering column question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livewild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2021
Miami Fl
I got myself a 80 Malibu that I’m in the process of transforming into a no prep style car. After completely removing the interior and mocking up my seat I noticed that the steering wheel/column is angled to driver door. It’s a obvious angle and noticeable from the front window view as well and from the inside. Is this something from factory or is there something messed up along my steering components. Thanks for the help!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
That sounds like something is wrong. Can you post a picture?

Livewild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2021
Miami Fl
That sounds like something is wrong. Can you post a picture?
I don’t have pictures of the column mounted to the bracket, I already started to alter and modify that to fix what’s going on. But I just took these of the bracket connected to the firewall. I’m my eyes the bracket itself look not straight. Did I just get the oddball with a miss aligned bracket ? A0A649A1-2706-4F60-8154-6E27E12AFE2C.jpeg 3032197F-F3F4-457C-A0D0-F577F3FDFE9D.jpeg

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
My 84 MC is the same way - it's silly. You have most likely relocated the seat away from the door a little if you've installed an aftermarket seat and that has accentuated the column issue.

Nothing a cutoff wheel and welder can't resolve. I really wish I had done that to mine when I had the chance If the dash ever comes back out tp get eliminated, then I'll be adderessing that.

What seat are you using? How about some more pics?

Reactions: 1 user

Livewild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2021
Miami Fl
My 84 MC is the same way - it's silly. You have most likely relocated the seat away from the door a little if you've installed an aftermarket seat and that has accentuated the column issue.

Nothing a cutoff wheel and welder can't resolve. I really wish I had done that to mine when I had the chance If the dash ever comes back out tp get eliminated, then I'll be adderessing that.

What seat are you using? How about some more pics?

I’m using a standard kirkey aluminum seat
I centered the seat to the pedals and the factory seat mounts and had a few people sit in it and they all said the same thing. I made sure the seat was straight that’s why I figured there was something off with the wheel/ column. To anyone who wants to install any type of bucket seat you have to raise it A LOT in order to even see over the dash.( 6ft tall) with the amount of reach off the wheel compared to the pedals it’s proving difficult to get a 12 point cage setup in the car. Without everything looking to far pushed forward. 79CDFE71-0FF0-46F7-84D0-F16B570B2209.jpeg 37A3FE1B-A755-4A49-8028-F21522F0DC11.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

dyrt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 26, 2012
Yardville, NJ
Thats funny. I have noticed the column in my Regal points toward the door and I always assumed it was something I could adjust in the column mount. It's probably just from sloppy assembly line or people just eyeballed them instead of using a fixture. If I ever pull my dash out I am definitely fixing it.

Livewild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2021
Miami Fl
Thats funny. I have noticed the column in my Regal points toward the door and I always assumed it was something I could adjust in the column mount. It's probably just from sloppy assembly line or people just eyeballed them instead of using a fixture. If I ever pull my dash out I am definitely fixing it.
It seems like the easiest way to adjust the column would be to grind of the 3 weld points on the firewall bracket. I went the difficult way and decided to cut up the bracket that bolts onto the column itself. I also have to figure out a way how to lower it a few inches as well, and hopes it clears my dash bar. If it all fails I’ll go with a aftermarket lightweight shaft and make a custom mount

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
It's also important to remember that the firewall curves away as well, so, compared to the firewall the bracket and column WILL appear to angle towards the door due to optical illusion.

Yes, weld quality was.not what it is today, and yes, parts placement/alignment/consistency also lacked compared to what the robot powered assembly line is capable of.

Still, I wouldn't be altering the bracket without a dash installed. I'd have the dash pad in, mount the column to it, then make your markings and adjustments before removing the dash and doing any rewelding. It's the best reference point you're going to get

Last edited:

Livewild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2021
Miami Fl
It's also important to remember that the firewall curves away as well, so, compared to the firewall the bracket and column WILL appear to angle towards the door due to optical illusion.

Yes, weld quality was.not what it is today, and yes, parts placement/alignment/consistency also lacked compared to what the robot powered assembly line is capable of.

Still, I wouldn't be altering the bracket without a dash installed. I'd have the dash pad in, mount the column to it, then make your markings and adjustments before removing the dash and doing any rewelding. It's the best reference point you're going to get

I agree with this ^^^ fortunately for me I will not have any dash. All I will have is a dash bar connected to A-pilar bars off the halo hoop. As long as that is squared to the body and firewall I’ll be good. From what I can tell the steering wheel only had to be moved over to passenger side about a inch. I’m thinking about making a post over in the “build” section keeping a step by step of what’s going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor