HELP Steering column question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I agree with this ^^^ fortunately for me I will not have any dash. All I will have is a dash bar connected to A-pilar bars off the halo hoop. As long as that is squared to the body and firewall I’ll be good. From what I can tell the steering wheel only had to be moved over to passenger side about a inch. I’m thinking about making a post over in the “build” section keeping a step by step of what’s going on.
You know, really dumb question just occurred to me after the fact.

Have you had the body off the frame yet? Years ago when I was in the northeast there was a gbody that had so many rust damaged body bushing frame mount areas that almost nothing was holding the body shell to the frame. It got hit on the side and the thing tore clean off the frame. Wasn't my car, but I saw it. Frame itself looked OK from the side/underneath because the rails rotted underneath the rubber bushing. Could see after the fact where many had collapsed though.

Couple that with all the flat washer repairs you see here on the site, I would believe in a passenger cabin shifting on the frame more than the factory welding a column mount off by an entire inch.

If column/shaft was firmly attached to gearbox, and gearbox was on a straight unbent frame rail, but the body shifted, that could make the bracket tweak and appear at an unnatural angle?

Just a thought.

Livewild

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2021
Miami Fl
You know, really dumb question just occurred to me after the fact.

Have you had the body off the frame yet? Years ago when I was in the northeast there was a gbody that had so many rust damaged body bushing frame mount areas that almost nothing was holding the body shell to the frame. It got hit on the side and the thing tore clean off the frame. Wasn't my car, but I saw it. Frame itself looked OK from the side/underneath because the rails rotted underneath the rubber bushing. Could see after the fact where many had collapsed though.

Couple that with all the flat washer repairs you see here on the site, I would believe in a passenger cabin shifting on the frame more than the factory welding a column mount off by an entire inch.

If column/shaft was firmly attached to gearbox, and gearbox was on a straight unbent frame rail, but the body shifted, that could make the bracket tweak and appear at an unnatural angle?

Just a thought.
Actually yes the body has been off the frame, the frame has been boxed as well as notched in the rear. Solid body mounts all the way around. There is a chance that It could be shifted over. I’ll double check everything and make sure it’s a square to the frame as it can be. There is always a possibility it could be something as simple as that! As far as the perches for the body mounts that is all 100%

Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Actually yes the body has been off the frame, the frame has been boxed as well as notched in the rear. Solid body mounts all the way around. There is a chance that It could be shifted over. I’ll double check everything and make sure it’s a square to the frame as it can be. There is always a possibility it could be something as simple as that! As far as the perches for the body mounts that is all 100%
the rag joints on the intermediate shaft will adjust for any mis-alignment between the frame and body. the steering column is anchored at the fire wall and the dash bracket. an angled steering column is normal on many of our cars. if i was to adjust anything, it would be where the column is mounted to the firewall.

just my 2cents.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor