Steering Column swap

81mali

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 16, 2012
So Cal
Don't mean to thread jack but I have a question. I figure its better to ask here than
start a new thread. If I get a colum from an 82 or 83 will it just unplug and plug or
do I have to splice wires to make the wiper switch work in my 81? I'm trying to do
away with the dash mounted switch and add delay while I'm at it. Any help will be
greatly appreciated. Thank you.

matrx10503

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2010
81mali said:
Don't mean to thread jack but I have a question. I figure its better to ask here than
start a new thread. If I get a colum from an 82 or 83 will it just unplug and plug or
do I have to splice wires to make the wiper switch work in my 81? I'm trying to do
away with the dash mounted switch and add delay while I'm at it. Any help will be

Did you read this thread??.......IIRC, 82 and up they changed to level mounted control and also delay, which means the wiring is different and the wiper motor is power differently (ground to positive). So, change the motor, and you would have to wire it up.
You can read about all this in this thread, this is just off the top of my head.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Here's my question: Say you have an 83' steering column with the wiper switch on the turn signal arm and you replace it with an identical 87' column, instead of replacing the wiper motor and rewiring it would you be able to install an 83' wiper switch assembly in the new column and have everything work as it should?

81mali

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 16, 2012
So Cal
matrx10503 said:
81mali said:

Did you read this thread??.......IIRC, 82 and up they changed to level mounted control and also delay, which means the wiring is different and the wiper motor is power differently (ground to positive). So, change the motor, and you would have to wire it up.
You can read about all this in this thread, this is just off the top of my head.

I did read the whole thread. It states that up to 83 they use ground from the switch and 84 and newer use 12v power from switch to motor. What I didn't see or perhaps missed is if I can just unplug my 81 colum and replace it with an 82 or 83 colum. What I'm trying to do is do away with my dash mounted switch and use a colum mounted switch(I would also like the delay function but its not a priority).

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I hope I'm not highjacking this thread either, but I have a question. I have an '81 Malibu that is a factory manual transmission car. The car has a non-tilt steering column with the key release lever that allows you to turn the ignition switch to the lock position to remove the key. I've looked for a factory tilt column like this, and they're next to impossible to find. Is it possible to convert the non-tilt column to a tilt column using a G body factory floor shift automatic tilt column? I'm not concerned with moving the wiper control from the dash. Also, is a factory tilt column from a late '80s F body with a manual transmission interchangeable, or can it be used to convert the non-tilt Malibu column to a tilt column? I'm just trying to get some ideas and information here. Thanks in advance.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm guessing you could conglomerate parts from an S-10 and F-body to make a standard shift tilt column for your car. This is purely speculation, but worth researching.
I've never seen a standard shift tilt column before. I suspect they're rare as hens teeth. The standard non-tilt columns are hard enough to come by.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I've been doing some more research on tilt manual trans steering columns for the A/G body cars. I know that factory tilt manual trans columns were built and installed in some GM A body cars from '78-'81, but that vehicles built with these columns are extremely rare. Even cars bult with non-tilt manual transmission steering columns are rare. I've corresponded with several people who have offered suggestions on other GM cars that would have steering columns that would be compatible and interchangeable (late '70s Nova, or Chev Vega or Monza). Some people have offered suggestions on what would be needed to custom build a tilt column (lower part from a '78-'81 A body non-tilt manual trans column, with the upper part of a mid '80s F body tilt manual trans column, and a center bowl shroud from a mid '80s Corvette column from a manual trans car). I'm offering this information in the hope of trying to get some consensus or verification on what will work. Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
clean8485 said:
I've corresponded with several people who have offered suggestions on other GM cars that would have steering columns that would be compatible and interchangeable (late '70s Nova, or Chev Vega or Monza).
We've discussed this off-line but I wanted to make sure you don't waste any time chasing down late 70's Nova parts. These use a completely different key release method: Linkage from the transmission turns the column bowl below the ignition switch when engaging reverse. This activates the back-up lights and allows the ignition switch to turn all the way to the lock position. That's right, the key could only be removed while in reverse. :?

Good Luck,
CG, former owner of a '77 Nova Rally, 350/Q-Jet, 4-speed

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor