Steering Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Added a power steering cooler from a KIA SUV. I now have the engine, transmission and power steering air coolers installed.

Attachments

• Cooler (1).jpg
    Cooler (1).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 74
  • Cooler (3).jpg
    Cooler (3).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Engine Oil Coolers (GM) (1).jpg
    Engine Oil Coolers (GM) (1).jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Transmission Oil Cooler (4).jpg
    Transmission Oil Cooler (4).jpg
    170 KB · Views: 78
  • Creative
Reactions: 5 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Cool way of doing it. I've been on the fence with using the trans cooler in my radiator for such use as I'm running a stick.

Reactions: 3 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Added a power steering cooler from a KIA SUV. I now have the engine, transmission and power steering air coolers installed.
Update: Return hose is installed, and the cooler has fluid going thru it since it gets warm. The cooler is in the path of air coming out of the lower part of the e-fans, so it is in a good place.

Reactions: 1 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Be careful of adding to many of them directly in front of the radiator-A/C units. Not just adding more heat that wasn’t there before but it can add air restriction. As long as there is air flow around the steering cooler it will help. Some of the truck will add a trans cooler down underneath but the transmission so it has air flow and not heat to the radiator. Nicely mounted. Good idea with the Kia cooler!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Be careful of adding to many of them directly in front of the radiator-A/C units. Not just adding more heat that wasn’t there before but it can add air restriction. As long as there is air flow around the steering cooler it will help. Nicely mounted.
it sits at the rear where air flow from the e-fans pushes air over it. In the hot TX summer my temp doesn't get over 200 with the coolers and AC Condenser in front of the radiator. The Sebring fans move a lot of air.

Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Nice!

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
did you get all 3 coolers from the same Kia suv? and you didn't have any problems with connectors, they're all the same size?

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
did you get all 3 coolers from the same Kia suv? and you didn't have any problems with connectors, they're all the same size?
the oil cooler AC Delco from a big Chevy SUV, the steering from a large KIA SUV and the transmission is the generic cooler sold online. I'm planning on switching that one for a GM trans cooler when I find the right size. It takes me time to find a vehicle that isn't destroyed in the front at the local pick n pull. The lines are 3/8 so no problem mating. GM has some nice trans coolers too but they were all beyond recognition. Some are just a long winding hardline that passes in front of the radiator. What I do is google oem coolers and find an image of what i think could work and then hunt for one at the yard and see if its good for what I had in mind. The KIA one was just a lucky find since i wasn't looking for anything from a KIA.

Attachments

• IMG_20221024_173028693.jpg
    IMG_20221024_173028693.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
the oil cooler AC Delco from a big Chevy SUV, the steering from a large KIA SUV and the transmission is the generic cooler sold online. I'm planning on switching that one for a GM trans cooler when I find the right size. It takes me time to find a vehicle that isn't destroyed in the front at the local pick n pull. The lines are 3/8 so no problem mating. GM has some nice trans coolers too but they were all beyond recognition. Some are just a long winding hardline that passes in front of the radiator. What I do is google oem coolers and find an image of what i think could work and then hunt for one at the yard and see if its good for what I had in mind. The KIA one was just a lucky find since i wasn't looking for anything from a KIA.
well, you can always drive over to Snyder's WAP in Holland but they pull all the engines/transmissions there so the front end is usually gone. and the WAP down the road from you had that big fire a couple months ago so....:unsure:🤷‍♂️
and then there's the Hwy 190 yard south of Killeen

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor