Steering Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
the oil cooler AC Delco from a big Chevy SUV, the steering from a large KIA SUV and the transmission is the generic cooler sold online. I'm planning on switching that one for a GM trans cooler when I find the right size. It takes me time to find a vehicle that isn't destroyed in the front at the local pick n pull. The lines are 3/8 so no problem mating. GM has some nice trans coolers too but they were all beyond recognition. Some are just a long winding hardline that passes in front of the radiator. What I do is google oem coolers and find an image of what i think could work and then hunt for one at the yard and see if its good for what I had in mind. The KIA one was just a lucky find since i wasn't looking for anything from a KIA.
Look at the ones on dodge trucks as well for the trans coolers

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Police package cars are another good source for coolers. A big concrn with used junkyard coolers is you don't know what they may be contaminated with and are highly difficult to flush out.

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Police package cars are another good source for coolers. A big concrn with used junkyard coolers is you don't know what they may be contaminated with and are highly difficult to flush out.
Many are a single tube design. I use brake cleaner to flush them until the flow is clear. They don't hold that much fluid. Police Package option 9C1 in 08 had a combined unit of trans and steering. Crown Vics have good aux coolers too. In my area lots of stuff is harder to find. S10 front spindles, F Body rear disk hardware, 8.5s and any G80 setup are picked clean. Last I noticed that aux coolers are difficult to find. would you believe 30amp relays with harnesses, LS motors, those do not exist
1667000214786.png

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
well, you can always drive over to Snyder's WAP in Holland but they pull all the engines/transmissions there so the front end is usually gone. and the WAP down the road from you had that big fire a couple months ago so....:unsure:🤷‍♂️
and then there's the Hwy 190 yard south of Killeen
Yeh the pick n pull where the fire happened is down from me about 4 miles. I go to just wonder around and see what I can get to put on my car. They are pretty cheap. Normally I get a bag of bolts for free, GM bolt head markings is a very important thing for some (like me).

RegalX78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2020
I am not sure of your setup, but a normal Saginaw GM pump produces about 1200PSI. The pressure hose will need to have crimped hydraulic style fittings, hose clamps will not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor