Steering Coupler/Rag Joint

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWCaprice2017

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 25, 2019
Hi Everyone!
I have an ‘84 Caprice with a 305. I’m replacing the steering gear, I might as well change out the Coupler. I’m seeing a lot of conflicting parts specs for it: 25-spline, 26-spline, 30-spline, 36-spline! How can I determine which one I have BEFORE getting the replacement?
Thank you for your help!

fly_25

Greasemonkey
Oct 20, 2020
You could remove the steering shaft and count the splines on the steering gear, I think the steering shaft is easy enough to remove.

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
Hi Everyone!
I have an ‘84 Caprice with a 305. I’m replacing the steering gear, I might as well change out the Coupler. I’m seeing a lot of conflicting parts specs for it: 25-spline, 26-spline, 30-spline, 36-spline! How can I determine which one I have BEFORE getting the replacement?
Thank you for your help!
Your coupler isn’t the thick rubber one similar to what the G-body used? I just did a quick search on Autozones website and it shows that the steering gear listed is PN 7525/7525N, which is the same exact PN they list for my 1983 Cutlass Supreme, they don’t list a coupler/rag joint for an 84 Caprice or my Cutlass, but if yours uses the same coupler that mine does the PN I used was 7829082 https://www.ebay.com/itm/3525831056...d=link&campid=5335822911&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Last edited:

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
You could remove the steering shaft and count the splines on the steering gear, I think the steering shaft is easy enough to remove.
All depends which assembly.line your car went down... if you got the one manned almost entirely by monkeys and other primates, sometimes they torqued the bolts enough to crimp the shaft tight to the column.... pull it loose? OK. Slide it back? Sometimes a PITA.

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
All depends which assembly.line your car went down... if you got the one manned almost entirely by monkeys and other primates, sometimes they torqued the bolts enough to crimp the shaft tight to the column.... pull it loose? OK. Slide it back? Sometimes a PITA.
It’s gotta come off one way or another 🤷🏼‍♂️

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
Hi Everyone!
Thank you for your help!
Or if you’re willing to really splurge, you can do something like this upgraded steering shaft kit from Detroit Speed which eliminates the rag joint https://www.opgi.com/chassis-suspension/steering-components/steering-shaft-kit/dse1488.html

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
Hi Everyone!
Thank you for your help!
I did a little further checking with a friend of mine who is pretty knowledgeable on the caprice/Impala and he said to measure the outside diameter of the coupler, if it’s 2 3/4” it’s a 26 spline, if it’s 3 1/4” it’s a 25 spline and those should be the only 2 options

DWCaprice2017

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 25, 2019
I did a little further checking with a friend of mine who is pretty knowledgeable on the caprice/Impala and he said to measure the outside diameter of the coupler, if it’s 2 3/4” it’s a 26 spline, if it’s 3 1/4” it’s a 25 spline and those should be the only 2 options
Hi! Thank you very much for the information! With that, I'll get both, and when I remove the steering gear and coupler, I'll check the diameter then. I don't want to get stuck with the wrong one and take the time to get the right one!
And if this reply is seen by the others who responded, thank you all for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor