Steering Coupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Hi Gang, I have a '78 Malibu with the splined steering column, so I can't upgrade the steering shaft. I got a new 800 series gearbox from a friend to replace the old leaking 605. Its got a 31 spline with flat input shaft. I bought a lares 201 rag joint, which might not rub on the frame (but it might). The big problem is that the coupler is the 3 1/4 diameter size, and the car originally had the 2 3/4 size. So the rag joint won't fit the end of the steering shaft. The bolt holes on the end of the shaft aren't wide enough apart to fit the new coupler.
I'm not sure what to do at this point. If I bought a new gearbox from summit, I think I will still have the same problem, because the spline count on the stock rag joint doesn't match the count on the input shaft of the new box. In order to get the right one, I would have to get the 3 1/4 inch rag joint, and I would be right back where I started. Is there some sort of adapter I could put on the end of the shaft to get the bigger rag joint to fit? The flange at the end of the intermediate shaft looks like it's pressed on. Can I replace that with a bigger one? It seems like the universe doesn't want me to drive this car (or at least steer it anyway). What's this part called, and can I swap it out?
20210307_162005.jpg
20210307_162013.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
In your other post I mentioned that I went with a Borgeson collapsible shaft set up in both my cars and the other advantage is since the u-joints on both ends are mounted separately you could have bought ones that matched your splined steering column and on the other end one that matches your steering box regardless of which one you use.

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
In your other post I mentioned that I went with a Borgeson collapsible shaft set up in both my cars and the other advantage is since the u-joints on both ends are mounted separately you could have bought ones that matched your splined steering column and on the other end one that matches your steering box regardless of which one you use.
What's the cost on something like that?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
What's the cost on something like that?
Like I said their stuff is not cheap but they are high quality, I have the telescoping shaft which makes the install easier because you can collapse it to install it and then extend it into place. I also have Borgeson u-joints but there are more affordable options on Ebay etc.
You have to do mock ups and cut the shaft to length.
Steering shaft u joints on Ebay average about $25 each if you want to go that route and Borgeson also sells a non telescoping collapsible shaft for $60 if you are really on a budget.
Here is my set up on the Regal before I installed a new Borgeson steering gearbox.
IMG_20200509_175558589 (1).jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
That looks totally bad *ss. It sounds like I can buy just the shaft from Borgeson, and the u-joints from ebay. I am on a budget, but not too tight. The fact is, I've already spent about a year's tuition at University of Michigan on this car. What's a few more hundred? And like i said, it looks so much cooler than the stock shaft. Thanks a lot, I'm going to do my research and get this together. One more thing, my steering column shaft is 1 inch diameter. I'm assuming that it's the 48 spline that they mention?
20210307_165944.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Neither of mine were splined at the column so you will have to verify the spline count before buying.

Rgpmalibu

Greasemonkey
Oct 7, 2020
Neither of mine were splined at the column so you will have to verify the spline count before buying.
48 spline seems to be the standard. I found u joints on ebay and Amazon, and the steering shaft on Amazon too. I pay Amazon for free shipping, so I should be able to get out of this for less than $150. Not too bad for a brand new shaft that eliminates the rag joint and looks good to boot. Thanks bbchevy!!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor