Steering darty just off center

Status
Not open for further replies.

lowd239

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2019
I install some wider 17" wheels on my 78 Malibu but it has brought with it some really unstable steering on the freeway. The steering is super darty just off center. Like dangerous levels.

I was hoping it was an alignment issue but I just had it aligned and if anything I'd say it made it worse. There is a bit of play in the tie rods but its not terrible. Also the gearbox isn't super tight but I've adjusted it as tight as I can.

Is this an issue that an adjustable tie rod stud would help? Like one in this kit? Modified Metric Complete Steering Kit, 1978-88 Metric GM

Thanks for the help

20191211_151857.jpg

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
That explains the Guard rail looking dent along the passenger side
That big of a wheel you might want to try some negative camber and add a little more castor to it

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Just putting on wheels and tires should not cause that type of issue, are you using any spacers on the wheels? Are the steering components original?

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
the only thing that kit offers over any other part supplyer is the adjustable tie rod up & down,that's for a bump steer correction.if you've got worn parts I'd start with replacing them that way you're not wa$ting your money and chasing your tail.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
There is a bit of play in the tie rods
start here, there is no spec on how loose a tie rod should be. its either tight or not. tight is spec.
what kind of a shop would align your car with loose components? they took your money and gave you an unsafe car.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

lowd239

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2019
Fortunately the dent was not my doing!

There are no spacers on the wheels.

I read about that bump steer issue as well...but I wondered if the the body lean was creating a similar issue?

I've already had a buddy tug the steering wheel back and forth while I was under the car feeling each joint. There was a bit of slop in each tie rod but the rest of the joints I couldnt feel any play. Also like I mentioned...there was a decent amount of free play from the steering shaft into the gearbox.

The steering parts do look to be original or at least old.

I'd prefer to replace one thing at a time so Im not throwing money at the car...think I should start with the tie rod ends??

lowd239

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2019
I wasn't super thrilled with the shop either....it ended up being $226 for the alignment because they had to buy new sleeve adjusters which required taking off the tie rod ends. I told them to get it as close as they could so I think some of the blame goes on me....but like I said there isnt a ton of slop in the tie rods, just a noticeable amount. That does seem like a reasonable place to start replacement though

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I read about that bump steer issue as well...but I wondered if the the body lean was creating a similar issue?
NO

think I should start with the tie rod ends??
[/QUOTE
YES, if they're original, replace them all. being that old, replace one, replace all. it will save you frustration.
also as mentioned above, low profile tires tend to follow ruts and other road irregularities. so tighter the steering is, the better.

oh, and nice rims.

Reactions: 1 user

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
If you have play between the steering wheel and the steering box your rag joint is probably finished. There is a cover over the steering shaft where the rag joint is just above the steering box. Pull the cover back and have your friend turn the wheel back and forth, you'll be able to see if there's play in the joint. To fix this you can either buy a new rag joint or look into the Jeep/Astro van steering shaft upgrade.
Rag joint:
rps20151126_220526.jpg

Astro shaft:
DSC01194.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
once i swapped to wide low profile tires, 275/40/17, any road irregularities were amplified. more caster is helpful. so is a faster ratio steering box.
start with fixing the slop and go from there as money permits.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor