Steering gear box - best replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B C Rocket

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 14, 2016
Mine is leaking on my ‘85 442; the threads on this forum seem inconclusive and I just want to know if the fast ratio replacements available (say from Rock Auto) will work!? Discussion about getting one used in late 90’s Grand Cherokee doesn’t make sense to me since it was an outide supplier that sourced these for Jeep AND GM!?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The part that doesn't make sense to me about the grand Cherokee units is that 1) it's going to be a 25 year old used box anyways, and 2) any 25 year old jeep likely has the same or double the mileage of many gbodies.

Problem with say a rockauto or auto zone box or wherever you choose is, you may not get the 'quick ratio' steering box back since reman places see cores are cores most times.... and since one box bolts in place with another... well.... you just have to be patient and can't get mad if you need to send it back a few times to get a true one.

Then your question falls to reman quality.

There are aftermarket companies that make new boxes, you've seen threads here about it if you used the search function.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I bought an 800 series QR box from BuyAutoParts for my 79 Malibu and have been very happy with it. I had the 605 box so I needed the pitman arm also for the heavier duty box. And Yes, It literally bolted right in. Pic #1) Crappy worn out leaking 605 box. Pic #2) Nice new QR 800 series box. The new box needs a new pitman arm to go with it because it has a bigger diameter shaft. (And we all know there's nothing wrong with that)

Attachments

• 20210117_120845.jpg
    20210117_120845.jpg
    664.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 20210328_081929.jpg
    20210328_081929.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: 3 users

newmexguy

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2021
Las Cruces NM 88005
I'd rebuild what you have, if it is an 800 series Saginaw. Yes the problem is your car is down for a while. There is a guy, in California, Hector Carrillo, who is active on some websites advertising his power steering rebuilds and upgrades. The feedbacks seem to be positive. Also seems cheaper than "mass market" rebuilds out there. I could also recommend "Benchworks Steering" in Scottsdale / Phoenix AZ, they have done several Boxes for me, The communication and turnaround was excellent.

Reactions: 3 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Go to your local advance auto parts and have them order a box from Lares. Check the Lares website. Theyre in MN. They sell reman boxes and they have listings for quick ratio boxes. I think I found them under Monte Carlos with the sport suspension. Ive bought two. One for the coupe and the other for my wagon. When you get them through rockauto shipping the core back costs $$$$. I had both of mine out and ready to go. Picked up the new, put the old crappy one back in the box and brought it back for the core refund within an hour. The guy at the counter just opened the box to make sure there was a core in it. Done.

Reactions: 1 user

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
I would recommend going to hutch hiperf.com to watch his video on rebuilding it step by step, awesome information and video.

Reactions: 1 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I put the SS quick ratio on my El C. Nice fit. I bought mine from the local Carquest that I have been dealing with for years.

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Go to your local advance auto parts and have them order a box from Lares. Check the Lares website. Theyre in MN. They sell reman boxes and they have listings for quick ratio boxes. I think I found them under Monte Carlos with the sport suspension. Ive bought two. One for the coupe and the other for my wagon. When you get them through rockauto shipping the core back costs $$$$. I had both of mine out and ready to go. Picked up the new, put the old crappy one back in the box and brought it back for the core refund within an hour. The guy at the counter just opened the box to make sure there was a core in it. Done.
Verify part numbers if considering the Lares through Advance Auto to make sure of the ratio. Their website lists a 10:1 as the fast ratio vs 12.7 thats more common for street driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor