Steering gear box - best replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I think the 10:1 (and I've seen some not factory 9:1 boxes) are typically designed for road courses as it is very quick reaction.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I think the 10:1 (and I've seen some not factory 9:1 boxes) are typically designed for road courses as it is very quick reaction.
My research indicates the same. 10:1 is better for vehicles used more on the autocross/track than the street.
I had a Lares box in my Summit shopping cart when I noticed the Quick Ratio was 10:1 vs 12.7:1 so I started looking up info/input.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
My research indicates the same. 10:1 is better for vehicles used more on the autocross/track than the street.
I had a Lares box in my Summit shopping cart when I noticed the Quick Ratio was 10:1 vs 12.7:1 so I started looking up info/input.
Think the ratio will be an issue driving on the street ? I never knew there was a difference. Figured since it said sport suspension it was equal to a Monte SS box.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Think the ratio will be an issue driving on the street ? I never knew there was a difference. Figured since it said sport suspension it was equal to a Monte SS box.
This is the question I've asked from guys that do Track & Autocross events. They feel it will be 'twitchy' for the street as a small amount of steering input will yield aggressive turning degree vs normal passenger cars. That's desired on the track; not so much in certain situations on the streets/road. As with anything, it's something you can get used to but I still wonder & have concern about what the reactive rate would be in an 'Uh-Oh' event on the road.

While I was going to say 'F-It' & go w/the 10:1, I'm now gravitating to the 12.7 box first. It will be better vs the stock/OEM ratio. If I feel I need more, I can get more aggressive w/the 10:1 & sell the 12.7 box.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I've noticed with my 12.7 box that it feels more like the newer cars of today. Anyone driving a newer car that jumps into my car wouldn't really notice a difference (not that anyone is gonna drive my car) but all of us old school guys notice how much less the steering wheel needs to turn with the faster box. I didn't want a quicker box like a 10:1 because I didn't want to sneeze and end up on the curb however, I agree, you would get used to it. I think I went from about 3 3/4 turns to about 2 1/2 turns lock to lock. The thing that matters the most to me is, I like it.

Reactions: 6 users

moby92

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2017
I bought an 800 series QR box from BuyAutoParts for my 79 Malibu and have been very happy with it. I had the 605 box so I needed the pitman arm also for the heavier duty box. And Yes, It literally bolted right in. Pic #1) Crappy worn out leaking 605 box. Pic #2) Nice new QR 800 series box. The new box needs a new pitman arm to go with it because it has a bigger diameter shaft. (And we all know there's nothing wrong with that)
We'll deal with the steering gear box leak issue on my uncle's new Malibu project. The previous owner mentioned it may need a replacement. We'll just finish installing the suspension from 4Wheelonline onto the truck before we can clear the garage and take her in.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
After some terrible experiences with the remanufactured steering boxes I started looking into brand new options. The one suggested to me was the Delphi 600 box. This is a a modern design that uses a similar valve assembly as used on rack and pinion steering assemblies. GM used in on the GMT 800 half ton 4 wheel drives. Chrysler used it on certain Jeep models. The oem installed units are not able to be retrofitted to the G body but there are aftermarket companies that provide bolt on units. Borgeson, Turn One and Lee Power Steering all offer bolt on units with a variety of ratios. The Borgeson one most closely duplicates the factory fast ratio but with better road feel. It's also a brand new box. There is no way I would pay Carhex $450 for a remanifactured box. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3345143701...d=link&campid=5335822911&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have the Borgeson box and their collapsible steering shaft on my Regal and couldn't be happier with it.
20220612_134042 (1).jpg

Reactions: 4 users

Oldcarjunkie

Greasemonkey
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2022
Fate,Texas
I replaced mine with a rebuilt unit. It wasn't any better than the one I took off.
I finally bit the bullet and bought a new Borgeson unit. Couldn't be happier. It totally changed the feel of the car.
I bought it from Summit Racing. Part # 800130 Pretty much the same price everywhere $467.00 Not cheap but you'll only buy once.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor