Steering gear woes... Replacement options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrackedHead

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2017
I have a 1979 Pontiac LeMans Station wagon I did a 6.0 swap on. Now I am moving on to the steering. I have already replaced the intermediate shaft with a Jeep shaft and that helped a lot. But I still have some play in the gear box that causes wondering going down the road.

I have read up on several steering box options for swaps. And I looked on RockAuto's website and they list a close ratio gear box that's supposed to be a direct bolt in. Here are the stats:

10:1 Fast Ratio
2.5 turns lock to lock

This is listed as a Lares 1105 part number. I called Lares and they were not able to get me the degree swing for the output shaft, I thought this was odd. Has anyone run this box yet? Does it lessen the turn radius?

When looking at the application listing on RockAuto's website it looks like this might be out of a B-body car. When I called Lares, they said they list it as a 77-79 GM car box.

I did some forum searches for this part, but so far haven't come up with anything.

Conclusion:
I got the box, it is installed, works great! It did have flare fittings in it, so my old hoses bolted up to it.

Turning radius does not seem to be decreased, but I didn't do an official measurement before and after.

I would recommend this upgrade if you have a 605 box. You will need an 800 series pitman arm though. I ended up getting one from Allstar performance (PN ALL56357), they had a dealer down the road from my work. Cost was $45.

Pitman Arm specs

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I wouldn't want 10:1 on a street car, you can never take you eyes off the road and one little twitch on the steering wheel will cause a lane change

have you tried adjusting the box in your car?

Reactions: 1 users

CrackedHead

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2017
Yeah I don't know it that would be the hot setup or not, I'm trying to find someone that has done it. On RockAuto's site it lists it as a top selling part.

This box seems to be one several people use. but then I would have to change all the fittings and hoses I already have:

AutoZone 6551

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
What type steering box is in your car currently? The reason I ask is because if you have the Saginaw 605 box, you won't be able to reuse the pitman arm onto the 800 series box.
The 605 has the round snap-on cover on top, whereas the 800 series has a 4-bolt top plate/ cover.
You will no doubt have to replace the hoses with the O-ring type fittings as compared to the older flare type fittings.
On RockAuto, you can refer to a steering box for a Monte Carlo SS, 442, GN/ T-Type.
Another heads-up...these boxes don't include a pitman arm.

• Agree

CrackedHead

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2017
It's a 605.

If I went with a "Monte Carlo SS" style box, I would have to replace the hoses, and the fitting in the back of the pump.

This Lares box is supposed to bolt in.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The Lares ad says nothing about being a bolt in and if it did that does not mean the hoses will fit.

• Agree

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If you purchase any one of the steering boxes that I've indicated, they are all bolt-on...but again you'd need to source the proper pitman arm.
If I recall, you can get a new one from Summit. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all56354

Not sure of the length. There are various sizes in 800 pitman arms

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It's a 605.

If I went with a "Monte Carlo SS" style box, I would have to replace the hoses, and the fitting in the back of the pump.

This Lares box is supposed to bolt in.
Yes, you would have to replace the hoses, or Lee Products carries brass adapter bushings that would allow you to use the old style flare hoses. http://leepowersteering.com/product-tag/seat-kits/

Could you post some pics of your wagon? Oh, and welcome aboard.

CrackedHead

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 20, 2017
Yes, you would have to replace the hoses, or Lee Products carries brass adapter bushings that would allow you to use the old style flare hoses. http://leepowersteering.com/product-tag/seat-kits/

From what I can tell it's supposed to use the old double flare ends. But I can't really confirm that.

Could you post some pics of your wagon?

I bought this car in Atlanta, drove it back to Wisconsin on a business trip, since then it's been to Detroit for 2 Woodward Ave. Cruise Nights, and 4 Hot Rod Power Tours. 3 of them with the 301 Pontiac. And down the Tail of the Dragon.

I just put the 6.0 in it starting April 1st of this year. I now have cruise on it, and the AC blows at 38 going down the road, 50 in stalled traffic on a 94 degree day. It got 22 MPG on the way back. It has 2.41 gears in it though... Those are next on the list.

6-0.jpg
301.jpg
Pic1.jpg
Pic2.jpg
Pic3.jpg
Pic5.jpg
PIC6.jpg
Pic7.jpg
PIC8.jpg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users

WelfareWagon

Apprentice
Jun 12, 2017
Missouri
I have a 1979 Pontiac LeMans Station wagon I did a 6.0 swap on. Now I am moving on to the steering. I have already replaced the intermediate shaft with a Jeep shaft and that helped a lot. But I still have some play in the gear box that causes wondering going down the road.

I have read up on several steering box options for swaps. And I looked on RockAuto's website and they list a close ratio gear box that's supposed to be a direct bolt in. Here are the stats:

10:1 Fast Ratio
2.5 turns lock to lock

This is listed as a Lares 1105 part number. I called Lares and they were not able to get me the degree swing for the output shaft, I thought this was odd. Has anyone run this box yet? Does it lessen the turn radius?

When looking at the application listing on RockAuto's website it looks like this might be out of a B-body car. When I called Lares, they said they list it as a 77-79 GM car box.

I did some forum searches for this part, but so far haven't come up with anything.

Sorry CrackedHead I have no information that will help you on this topic, but you may be able to help me out. Can you tell me everything about your air conditioning set up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor